Can browser affect the session?

HLady

I posted earlier about this, I have an application and a sequence of
activities will cause the session to restart. My code will go to
session_start right after I execute a Response.Redirect(mypage) in
order to reload the page. I use this statement in other parts of the
code and it doesnt cause this. It is not a session.abandon statement,
or a timeout. Someone here suggested that the server recycling can
cause the session to restart, but I dont have anything in my event log
saying there was a recycle. This problem happens whether I use inproc
or stateserver session models.

What I found interesting, and this is new from my earlier post, is that
this problem with the unexplained session restart happens only on IE6.
I have tried the same thing on Opera and Firefox and it works
beautifully, no session restart happens. What I am wondering here is
how can the browser affect the session? Doesnt the session live in the
server, not understanding how this would make a difference.

Any ideas

Marina Levit [MVP]

The session does live on the server. However, the session cookie is on the
client - and the browser sends this up on every requests. I haven't
experienced what you are describing, but perhaps the session cookie is
getting lost somehow on the redirect.

Robbe Morris [C# MVP]

Some ISPs and corporate networks route their outgoing traffic
through proxy server farms. This can result in
session cookies getting reset because the
server thinks you are a new session from a
different ip.

You don't say much about the environment
you are experiencing this with. So, I'm
just throwing this out there for consideration.

HLady

Thanks for your suggestion, but this problem happens to my application
even when I am running the application locally on my machine as
localhost,

Another interesting thing is that the "session_end" method never runs,
I only get session_start method running again. This is when running
inproc session model, I know session_end doesnt run when using
stateserver, but should when running inproc. I get a different
sessionid too.