What could potentially be wrong in this script?

Chris

I am writing a Perl script to check that dependency files exist that
are included in definition files that we have. However, I am getting
a completely unexplainable problem. For one specific file only, the
algorithm I have doesn't seem to work, or at least the string that is
getting saved from the regex is somehow not working properly with
certain Perl calls. The format of the strings is the same in every
file and in this one in particular, I have even modified the line,
moved it around, etc, etc. I am basically going through each file,
opening it, and then based on the type of file, saving a regex to
use. In one case, "^#tagdef\\s*(.*)" and in the other "^#include\
\s*(.*)" (they are saved off in variables. As I read each line of the
file, I am searching for the currently switched on regex, and then
using $1 to see what I have in the (), which is the file I want to
search for. This file is saved in a list of files that I gather (and
this file is in the list, I've printed and see it is there). I do a
foreach() on this file list, and then use index(fileInlist, $1) != -1
to indicate I have found the file. However, for only one specific
file, this doesn't work. What is even stranger is, if I print "$1\n",
the file prints just fine. But, if I do something like print "$1 after
\n", the whole output is messed up. If I print "before $1\n", nothing
prints at all. If I print "before $1 after\n", only after prints.

Here is a cut-paste of my script:

#!/usr/bin/perl -w

use lib "./scripts/perl/FILES-1.0";

use strict;
use Files::FileModules;
use Cwd;

my $boxPath = $ARGV[0];
my $myPath = "path";

my $startingDir = getcwd;

my @filePostfix = ("\.def\$", "\.cfg\$");

chdir("$boxPath/$myPath");

my @myFiles = FindAllFiles(@filePostfix, "./");

my @myFileCopy = @myFiles;

my $DEFILE = 0;
my $CFGFILE = 1;

foreach my $files (@myFiles)
{
my $searchTag = " ";

if(index($files, 'imgGame') != -1)
{
next;
}

open FILEHANDLE, "< $files" or die "Can't open $files\n";

print "\nIn File $files\n";

if($files =~ /\.def$/)
{
$searchTag = "^#include\\s*(.*)";
}
elsif($files =~ /\.cfg$/)
{
$searchTag = "^#tagdef\\s*(.*)";
}

while(<FILEHANDLE>)
{
if($_ =~ /$searchTag/)
{
my $findThis = $1;
my $foundFile = 0;
print "\nSearching for $findThis\n";
foreach my $thing (@myFileCopy)
{
if(index($thing, 'imgGame') != -1)
{
next;
}

if(index($thing, $findThis) != -1)
{
print "\nFound dependency: $findThis\n";
$foundFile = 1;
last;
die "Did not find: $findThis in $files\n" if !$foundFile;

close FILEHANDLE;
}

The index call isn't working on this bizarre string. However, if I do
things like length() on it, it shows the correct length, but other
calls, even the die call at the end, can't print it out. Only if it
is printed by itself with nothing else does it even print out.

Klaus

[snip]
if I print "$1\n",
the file prints just fine. But, if I do something like print "$1 after
\n", the whole output is messed up. If I print "before $1\n", nothing
prints at all. If I print "before $1 after\n", only after prints.

not really sure, but could be a rogue "\r" in $1,
try dumping out the content in hex: print unpack('H*', $1);

Chris

[snip]
if I print "$1\n",
the file prints just fine. But, if I do something like print "$1 after
\n", the whole output is messed up. If I print "before $1\n", nothing
prints at all. If I print "before $1 after\n", only after prints.

not really sure, but could be a rogue "\r" in $1,
try dumping out the content in hex: print unpack('H*', $1);

Hi, Klaus:
Thanks for suggestion and for making me aware of unpack! :) There
is a rogue carriage return (0xd) in the string that isn't appearing in
the other strings, even though the file characteristics are the same
as far as the naked eye can see between all my files, this is the only
one with that strange character at the end. chomp() doesn't seem to
get rid of it either. Is there something I can do to deal with this
situation? I've tried retyping the string by hand in the file, but it
doesn't seem to be going away for some reason. In fact, I can delete
the line and retype it in any other file and it works. For some
reason, this file isn't happy...

Peter J. Holzer

Thanks for suggestion and for making me aware of unpack! :) There
is a rogue carriage return (0xd) in the string that isn't appearing in
the other strings, even though the file characteristics are the same
as far as the naked eye can see between all my files, this is the only
one with that strange character at the end. chomp() doesn't seem to
get rid of it either.

Chomp only removes $/, which is usually "\n", not "\r".
Is there something I can do to deal with this situation?

You probably want to ignore any whitespace at the end of the line, so
you could change your pattern from:

$searchTag = "^#include\\s*(.*)";

$searchTag = "^#include\\s*(.*?)\\s*$";

This would not only get rid of the \r, but also of any spaces or tabs at
the end of the line (which normally aren't visible to the naked eye
either).

I've tried retyping the string by hand in the file, but it
doesn't seem to be going away for some reason.

Your editor is probably detecting the MS-DOS line endings and acting
accordingly. It should have a way to change this. For example, in vim,
you can switch to unix-style line endings with

:set fileformat=unix

and then just save the file. There are also utilities like dos2unix
which do this, or you can write a simple one-line perl script ...

hp

Tad McClellan

Chris said:
[snip]
if I print "$1\n",
the file prints just fine. But, if I do something like print "$1 after
\n", the whole output is messed up. If I print "before $1\n", nothing
prints at all. If I print "before $1 after\n", only after prints.

not really sure, but could be a rogue "\r" in $1,

There
is a rogue carriage return (0xd) in the string
Is there something I can do to deal with this
situation?

Repair the corrupted file:

perl -p -i -e 'tr/\r//d' bad_file