What do we call things like Class, Interface, Enumerations etc

Chanchal

hi all,

just wanted a simple question(sorry if it sounds stupid).but does any
one know what things like Classes, Interface,Enumerations etc can be
collectively called.I mean they are the fundamental building blocks of
any Java program. But do we have a techinical name which we can call
them all??

Chanchal

Benji

Chanchal said:
just wanted a simple question(sorry if it sounds stupid).but does any
one know what things like Classes, Interface,Enumerations etc can be
collectively called.I mean they are the fundamental building blocks of
any Java program. But do we have a techinical name which we can call
them all??

They are all data types.

Mike Schilling

Benji said:
They are all data types.

As are int, float, etc. If you want to distinguish between the two,
Classes, Interfaces, etc. are reference types as opposed to scalar (or
primitive) types.

Thomas Hawtin

Mike said:
As are int, float, etc. If you want to distinguish between the two,
Classes, Interfaces, etc. are reference types as opposed to scalar (or
primitive) types.

Reference types includes array types. To exclude arrays the grammar uses
ClassOrInterfaceType (classes include enums). I don't know where you got
the 'scalar' term. Probably Perl. Isn't java.lang.Integer a scalar?

Tom Hawtin