What do you use java for ? AndDoes Java make you feel happy?

zelzel.zsu

What do you use java for ?
AndDoes Java make you feel happy?

Java was famous during the past 10 years.
And there are many java programmers in the world.

I am not an serious java programmer,
I've only read a few chapter of a java tutorial book.
Like other programming book , the chapters wer trivial
and uninteresting. They show some simple examples.

but in real world, Java programmer were certainly not writing
codes like that.

So i was wondering: What are people using java for?
And does java makes you happy when
you are writing programms in the java way?

Do you really like java?
Do you feel that the huge java library is making your life easier?

Is there any people who switch from java to other languages, eg.
Python, ruby?

thanks.

Gerbrand van Dieijen

(e-mail address removed) schreef:
What do you use java for ?
AndDoes Java make you feel happy?

I think an almost identical question is posted before in this
newsgroup, and probably many times before then too.

Roedy Green

Do you really like java?

I like Java because it is multiplatform. But it is not actually the
ability to run code everywhere that makes me like Java. The
multiplatformness gets rid of so much quirkiness.

Java is like sensible shoes for women. It is a little on the plain
side, but every dodad is there for a practical reason.

Robert Klemme

So i was wondering: What are people using java for?

We actually sell a high end reporting solution that crunches gigabytes of
log data built in Java.
And does java makes you happy when
you are writing programms in the java way?

Well, yes.
Is there any people who switch from java to other languages, eg.
Python, ruby?

Certainly - this happens all the time.

Regards

robert

Monique Y. Mudama

I like Java because it is multiplatform. But it is not actually the
ability to run code everywhere that makes me like Java. The
multiplatformness gets rid of so much quirkiness.

Java is like sensible shoes for women. It is a little on the plain
side, but every dodad is there for a practical reason.

And it doesn't give you bunions or cause your ankle tendons to shrink!

Oh, wait, that's taking the analogy too far, right?

Patrick May

Monique Y. Mudama said:
And it doesn't give you bunions or cause your ankle tendons to
shrink!

Unfortunately, it doesn't make your . . . posterior more sexually
attractive, either.
Oh, wait, that's taking the analogy too far, right?

No, but I may have.

Regards,

Patrick

kongra

(e-mail address removed):
What do you use java for ?

Few years ago I was doing mostly web programming stuff in Java (ATG
Dynamo in particular). Right now I use Java for my scientific work, and
it's actually the only programming platform that I use for this purpose
(though my choices were made after some additional research). I build
some kind of software analysis platform with a rich GUI (Swing).
AndDoes Java make you feel happy?

1. Elegant, effective and productive (!!!) language.
2. Easy to achieve cross-platformness.
3. Great choice of libraries, popularity of the language.
4. Performance and scalability.

Monique Y. Mudama

Unfortunately, it doesn't make your . . . posterior more
sexually attractive, either.

That's okay; I'll take pain-free over painfully attractive any day =)

Honestly, I don't think it matters. A guy isn't going to go from
finding a girl's butt unacceptable in flats to sexy in heels. No way.
All of the effort (many) women spend on tarting up seems to be wasted,
to me. Guys don't seem to be nearly as picky as girls are about
female looks. Just my current theory.
No, but I may have.

Me, too.

Hal Rosser

And - you can light either end.
1. Elegant, effective and productive (!!!) language.
2. Easy to achieve cross-platformness.
3. Great choice of libraries, popularity of the language.
(Whereas VB makes your butt look big)
4. Performance and scalability.

And - you can light either end.

zelzel.zsu

Hi, I am the original poster the this message.
I post this question for the reason:
"I was new to java, and I found it trival and not interesting compared
to the new one,
eg. Python, Ruby"

Allthought I knew that Java was wide spread in enterprise platform, and
was supported
by IBM, ORacle, SAP, etc.

But I cann't find any thing intresting in java.
I mean that There are so many programming language in the world,
You have mutiple choice, So, You need to choose follow your heart.
Your choice should really makes you happy when you are with it.

Many people are strongly in love with Python, Scheme.
Some of They are previous Java programmers.
But why are they switch to python and be happy with it.
Their switch make me thinking? -- Are there any language that are
better than
java and You'll get fun of it?

I search in the google, and found that:
2 and a half years ago, Bruce Eckel,(Book Author of: Thinking in Java
)
had a interview by other people, In the conversation,
He talk why he love python and why he think that python is an sharp
language.

I do not mean to persuade people switch to java,
But I do mean that Maybe Python is better for me, I 'll check it out.

http://www.artima.com/intv/aboutme.html
Python and the Programmer
-- A Conversation with Bruce Eckel, Part I
by Bill Venners
Jun 2, 2003

Roedy Green

I do not mean to persuade people switch to java,
But I do mean that Maybe Python is better for me, I 'll check it out.

I used Python for a while. It has some nice shortcuts for cooking up
code quickly, but in the end the declarations in Java are needed to
help maintain the code, so you really are no further ahead.

You also have the just one extra complication layer between you and
the many Java languages you need.

The next language that I want to go for has to be radically different.
There is no point is changing languages only for some tiny benefit in
tidier syntax.

What want is a VISUAL language. I want very powerful control on how it
presents to me, which like a style sheet, need have nothing to do with
how other people present the same program to themselves.

ASCII source code is text files is so sixties. It is like keeping the
financial records of Mastercard in a Word Processor.

see http://mindprod.com/projects/scid.html
http://mindprod.com/projects/dynamicversioncontrol.html

Dave Glasser

Hi, I am the original poster the this message.
I post this question for the reason:
"I was new to java, and I found it trival and not interesting compared
to the new one,
eg. Python, Ruby"

Allthought I knew that Java was wide spread in enterprise platform, and
was supported
by IBM, ORacle, SAP, etc.

But I cann't find any thing intresting in java.
I mean that There are so many programming language in the world,
You have mutiple choice, So, You need to choose follow your heart.

How about following a paycheck? How many jobs are there for Python or
Ruby programmers? How well do they pay in relation to other languages?
Your choice should really makes you happy when you are with it.

Many people are strongly in love with Python, Scheme.
Some of They are previous Java programmers.
But why are they switch to python and be happy with it.
Their switch make me thinking? -- Are there any language that are
better than
java and You'll get fun of it?

It's funny, but a lot of advocates of languages like Python, Lisp,
etc., seem to spend an inordinate amount of time thinking about Java
and Java developers. Now that they've found their religion, it seems
to bug them that the unwashed masses of Java developers out there are
not envying them for the awesome power of their superior language
choice. It also seems to bug them that Java developers pay them little
heed when they preach about how Java sucks because it takes 5 lines of
code to do something in Java that takes 2 lines in their pet language.
I search in the google, and found that:
2 and a half years ago, Bruce Eckel,(Book Author of: Thinking in Java
)
had a interview by other people, In the conversation,
He talk why he love python and why he think that python is an sharp
language.

I do not mean to persuade people switch to java,
But I do mean that Maybe Python is better for me, I 'll check it out.

I hate to break this to you, but I doubt if anyone here cares what
language you think is "better for you". You obviously care what the
Java developers on this Java newsgroup think about your attraction to
Python, otherwise you wouldn't have made this post. You've just
illustrated my point above.

--
Check out QueryForm, a free, open source, Java/Swing-based
front end for relational databases.

http://qform.sourceforge.net

If you're a musician, check out RPitch Relative Pitch
Ear Training Software.

http://rpitch.sourceforge.net

Chris Uppal

But I cann't find any thing intresting in java.
I mean that There are so many programming language in the world,
You have mutiple choice, So, You need to choose follow your heart.
Your choice should really makes you happy when you are with it.

Java is a pretty dull language. It is conservative in design, both the syntax
and semantics are (with some exceptions) derived from "safe" previous language
designs.

For a language enthusiast, the most exiting thing about Java is the quality of
the VM implementation. Very impressive (IMO). There is very little else to
rave about (interfaces are nice, and the classloader concept, and the security
design are interesting, though).

For someone who just wants to get a job done, there are ups and downs. The
lack of "advanced" (i.e. stuff that has been available since the 70's) features
in Java means that sometimes you spend a lot of time coding around its
weaknesses. OTOH, the massive and comprehensive class libraries and
application frameworks that are available are a big plus (but /some/ of the
"massive and comprehensive" is just there to fix or work around weaknesses in
the language).

There was a time when Java was a likeable little language. Not something to
fall in love with, but reasonably small and simple, and something you could
comfortably code in all day. It was very refreshing to switch from the
complexities of C++ to Java. These days, I'm not so sure -- a lot of cruft has
been added to the language design, and it can no longer be called "small" or
"simple" (not even by C++ standards). I grew to like Java when it was still
young, and I still quite like it now that it has grown old and wrinkly, but I'm
not sure whether I would feel the same if I were coming to it for the first
time now.

BTW, I wouldn't, myself, call Python or Ruby languages to love either. Neither
of them (IMO) is anything more than a not-very-well designed, and pretty badly
implemented, rehash of concepts that have been around for ages in languages
like LISP and Smalltalk. Now /those/ are languages to love, not poxy upstart
scripting languages ;-)

-- chris

Olaf Delgado-Friedrichs

But I cann't find any thing intresting in java.
I mean that There are so many programming language in the world,
You have mutiple choice, So, You need to choose follow your heart.
Your choice should really makes you happy when you are with it.

I prefer Python as a language, but I use Java. Nobody forces me to. I
did not choose the language I liked most. Why? Because Java gets the job
done for me and in the end that is what counts. There is an excellent
infrastructure for devoloping and deploying Java software for all major
operating systems, complete with a standard GUI and a multi-platform 3D
library. Unfortunately, the Python community has not been able to come
up with anyting comparable. Maybe Ruby will be more successful at some
point. I don't know.

HalcyonWild

Roedy said:
On 10 Nov 2005 06:02:03 -0800, "(e-mail address removed)"
said :

[ something deleted ]
The next language that I want to go for has to be radically different.
There is no point is changing languages only for some tiny benefit in
tidier syntax.

very true. but you still need to go towards any language, where you
feel you can earn.
What want is a VISUAL language. I want very powerful control on how it
presents to me, which like a style sheet, need have nothing to do with
how other people present the same program to themselves.

ASCII source code is text files is so sixties. It is like keeping the
financial records of Mastercard in a Word Processor.

Yeah, we have Visual Basic for that. No more sixties style source code
in text files. Just copy and paste, drag and drop, and voila , your app
is ready. Meet most of your requirements.