what editor do you use?

Francesco

i'm new to python and i was wondering what editors people prefer to use
and why.

Pype: it is open source, has a classbrowser, is very customisable,
code completition, ...

DrPython: same as pype, very active development; python shell
integrated.

both can be found on sourceforge.

mr.happy

i'm new to python and i was wondering what editors people prefer to use
and why.

emacs works pretty good for me...

-- dirk
Q: Why do the police always travel in threes?
A: One to do the reading, one to do the writing, and the other keeps
an eye on the two intellectuals.

Maciej Dziardziel

Sticks said:
i'm new to python and i was wondering what editors people prefer to use
and why.

Eric3 - most powerfull python IDE with number of features.

Skip Montanaro

Sticks> i'm new to python and i was wondering what editors people prefer
Sticks> to use and why.

Like everybody else you'll talk to I use the "one true editor", commonly
referred to as "God's gift to text editing". I'll leave it to you to
conclude which instantiation of the one true editor I actually use. <wink>

If you'd like some help identifying the choices, take a look here:

http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/PythonEditors

Skip

Uwe Becher

Sticks said:
i'm new to python and i was wondering what editors people prefer to use
and why.

SciTE - has syntax highlighting, code folding, indenting also and i can
use it under linux and under windows

uwe

John Roth

Sticks said:
i'm new to python and i was wondering what editors people prefer to use
and why.

I've been using PythonWin because it comes with the
ActiveState distribution, and it works reasonably well.
I've been trying out jEdit because I want to do more
than just Python.

John Roth

Dave Kuhlman

Sticks said:
i'm new to python and i was wondering what editors people prefer
to use and why.

I like Jed a lot:

- light-weight and quick

- good but simple Python mode

- syntax high-lighting. And, it's customizable, which is
especially valuable for those of us who are "color challenged".

- very strong scripting language (SLang). Very customizable.

- multiple buffers and ability to reload session (files previously
open) on a per-directory basis

- and, of course, much more.

The down-side -- since it's so customizable, you will be tempted
to spend lots of time customizing and extending Jed capabilities.

It's at: http://space.mit.edu/~davis/jedsoft/jed/

Dave

AdSR

Sticks said:
i'm new to python and i was wondering what editors people prefer to use
and why.

I mostly use jEdit. Good points:

- single window (as opposed to IDLE)
- Console plugin
- great search & replace

Weaknesses:

- syntax highliting fooled by some raw strings (like r"\one_backslash")
- multi-line comment-out is ugly

IDLE is my second editor of choice. Good points:

- interactive shell
- data inspect after run (in the shell)
- correct syntax highliting
- good (visible) multi-line comment-out
- at least partial code completion

Weaknesses:

- separate window for each module

HTH,

AdSR

Steve Lamb

i'm new to python and i was wondering what editors people prefer to use
and why.

Main editor, vim. Small, fast, awesome syntax highlighting, doesn't get
in my way.

Secondary, boa-constructor. Builds wxPython code cleanly. I'll build the
base of the app in boa and then move to vim for the non-interface portions.

Michael Anckaert

Sticks said:
i'm new to python and i was wondering what editors people prefer to use
and why.
vim
Hard to learn, but once you get to know it, you'll never want anything
else. A friend of mine uses emacs and we held a 'speedcontest', we had
to edit a file with our editors and write some code. Me and vim were
about 50% faster than him and emacs.
But I don't want to start any vim vs. emacs flamewar :)

Oliver Fromme

Sticks said:
> i'm new to python and i was wondering what editors people prefer to use
joe.

> and why.

Because my fingers are used to it for 20 years.

Best regards
Oliver

Steven Rumbalski

Michael said:
A friend of mine uses emacs and we held a 'speedcontest', we had
to edit a file with our editors and write some code. Me and vim were
about 50% faster than him and emacs.
But I don't want to start any vim vs. emacs flamewar :)
I suspect you would be 50% faster even if you both used notepad. This
comparison is meaningless without a baseline comparison in an unfamiliar
editor. Perhaps you are simply a faster typist. Perhaps code flows more
quickly from your brain. Perhaps you were more familiar with the file to
be edited and the problem domain. We cannot know the reason that you
performed this particular test more quickly.

I too use vim.

Christopher T King

Because my fingers are used to it for 20 years.

I'll put in a second vote for JOE (though I only have 6 years of Ctrl-K
commands ingrained in my memory). The recently released JOE 3.0 includes
syntax coloring support. It's a very simple editor, but does just about
everything you'd expect from a decent IDE, and then some. If you don't
like WordStar keys, it'll emulate EMACS and Pico, too.

Michael Anckaert

Steven said:
Michael Anckaert wrote:

I suspect you would be 50% faster even if you both used notepad. This
comparison is meaningless without a baseline comparison in an unfamiliar
editor. Perhaps you are simply a faster typist. Perhaps code flows more
quickly from your brain. Perhaps you were more familiar with the file to
be edited and the problem domain. We cannot know the reason that you
performed this particular test more quickly.

I too use vim.

I wasn't more familiar with that file, we just did some basic editing.
Removing lines, adding words, navigating to a certain point, etc.
But it is true that I'm a better typist than him ;-)

Christopher T King

I suspect you would be 50% faster even if you both used notepad. This
comparison is meaningless without a baseline comparison in an unfamiliar
editor. Perhaps you are simply a faster typist. Perhaps code flows more
quickly from your brain. Perhaps you were more familiar with the file to
be edited and the problem domain. We cannot know the reason that you
performed this particular test more quickly.

A better comparison would be to perform weird editing tasks, since all
editors let you type code at about the same speed. Example:

One of my friends was trying to cut and paste columnar values in EMACS.
The task took him about five minutes. I showed him JOE's rectangle
selection mode. He was then able to use that feature to accomplish the
same task with (literally) a couple of keystrokes.

Of course, there are tasks which will be more efficient in EMACS due to
its scriptability. It all boils down to a question of which editor
provides more practical features.

Michele Simionato

Sticks said:
i'm new to python and i was wondering what editors people prefer to use
and why.

The Lord of the Editors or One Emacs to Rule Them All

by Raffael Cavallaro

Knuth's Tex for the Math-kings of sigma, and pi,
Unix vim for the Server-lords with their O'Reilly tomes,
Word for Mortal Men doomed to die,
Emacs from the Bearded One on his Gnu throne,
In the land of Stallman where free software lies.
One Emacs to rule them all. One Emacs to find them,
One Emacs to take commands and to the keystrokes bind them,
In the land of Stallman, where free software lies.