what is .i file?

Luke Z. Yang

Hi(not sure I posted in the right place),

While I tried to use dbx to debug a core file, it reported that dbx can't
find some sort of .i file. Anyone knows what it is and how to get/generate?
I have all .o files but didn't see any .i file.

(/opt/SUNWspro/bin/../WS6/bin/sparcv9/dbx) module -v
Module: xxxxx.o
Language: c++
Debugging information: read [stabs version: 6.0]
Source file (original): /loads/xxxxx.i
Source file (using): cannot find file (see `help pathmap')
Object file: /loads/xxxxx.o
Loadobject: /loads/bin/xyz

(/opt/SUNWspro/bin/../WS6/bin/sparcv9/dbx)

Thanks in advanced,

Luke

Tim Prince

Luke Z. Yang said:
Hi(not sure I posted in the right place),

While I tried to use dbx to debug a core file, it reported that dbx can't
find some sort of .i file. Anyone knows what it is and how to
get/generate?
I have all .o files but didn't see any .i file.

(/opt/SUNWspro/bin/../WS6/bin/sparcv9/dbx) module -v
Module: xxxxx.o
Language: c++
Debugging information: read [stabs version: 6.0]
Source file (original): /loads/xxxxx.i
Source file (using): cannot find file (see `help pathmap')
Object file: /loads/xxxxx.o
Loadobject: /loads/bin/xyz

(/opt/SUNWspro/bin/../WS6/bin/sparcv9/dbx)
..i sometimes is used for an intermediate file of pre-processed source.
Consult your compiler documentation or a Sun specific NG FAQ to confirm
this. Did you follow the advice about the help command?

SM Ryan

Intermediate file between the C preprocessor and the C compiler. It has all
#defines and #includes expanded, and #ifs decided.

Ron Natalie

SM said:
Intermediate file between the C preprocessor and the C compiler. It has all
#defines and #includes expanded, and #ifs decided.
Actually, the .i file is usually only written when the preprocessor output
is requested. Normally the data between the preprocessor and the later
phases of the compiler are bufferred elsewhere.