What is the best way to iterate through two containers of the same length?

Mark Watson

If I have two containers c1 and c2 of the same length, what is the
proper "Ruby way" to do this:

c1.length.times {|i|
# access c1, c2
}

I like that Ruby container classes provide their own iterators, but
what I would like to have is something like:

(c1,c2).each {|x1,x2| .... }

I thought of writing my own iterator class so that I could do something
like:

Iterator.new(c1,c2).each {|x1,x2| .... }

but that looks clumsy and inefficient.

I am transitioning to using mostly Ruby (moving away from Java, Lisp,
and Smalltalk) and I would like to use the proper Ruby idioms.

Robert Klemme

2006/3/6 said:
If I have two containers c1 and c2 of the same length, what is the
proper "Ruby way" to do this:

c1.length.times {|i|
# access c1, c2
}

I like that Ruby container classes provide their own iterators, but
what I would like to have is something like:

(c1,c2).each {|x1,x2| .... }

I thought of writing my own iterator class so that I could do something
like:

Iterator.new(c1,c2).each {|x1,x2| .... }

but that looks clumsy and inefficient.

I am transitioning to using mostly Ruby (moving away from Java, Lisp,
and Smalltalk) and I would like to use the proper Ruby idioms.

If the two are arrays you can use Array#zip:
%w{foo bar baz}.zip([1,2,3]) {|a,b| print a, "-", b,"\n"}
foo-1
bar-2
baz-3

For the more general case you can look at Generator
http://ruby-doc.org/stdlib/libdoc/generator/rdoc/

Kind regards

robert

James Edward Gray II

If I have two containers c1 and c2 of the same length, what is the
proper "Ruby way" to do this:

c1.length.times {|i|
# access c1, c2
}

I like that Ruby container classes provide their own iterators, but
what I would like to have is something like:

(c1,c2).each {|x1,x2| .... }

You are looking for Enumerable#zip:
letters = %w{A B C} => ["A", "B", "C"]
numbers = [1, 2, 3] => [1, 2, 3]
letters.zip(numbers) do |letter, number| ?> puts "#{letter}#{number}"
end
A1
B2
C3
=> nil

You can also use the standard generator library to turn Ruby's
internal iterators into external iterators (like Java's iterators) if
needed.

Hope that helps.

James Edward Gray II

gordon

How about:

foo = ["foo","foo"]
bar = ["bar","bar"]

foo.zip(bar).each do |a,b|
puts "#{a} #{b}"
end

Logan Capaldo

If I have two containers c1 and c2 of the same length, what is the
proper "Ruby way" to do this:

c1.length.times {|i|
# access c1, c2
}

I like that Ruby container classes provide their own iterators, but
what I would like to have is something like:

(c1,c2).each {|x1,x2| .... }

I thought of writing my own iterator class so that I could do
something
like:

Iterator.new(c1,c2).each {|x1,x2| .... }

but that looks clumsy and inefficient.

I am transitioning to using mostly Ruby (moving away from Java, Lisp,
and Smalltalk) and I would like to use the proper Ruby idioms.

Well there is zip:
irb(main):001:0> [1,2,3].zip([4,5,6]) do |a, b|
irb(main):002:1* puts "#{a} #{b}"
irb(main):003:1> end
1 4
2 5
3 6
=> nil

Wilson Bilkovich

If I have two containers c1 and c2 of the same length, what is the
proper "Ruby way" to do this:

c1.length.times {|i|
# access c1, c2
}

I like that Ruby container classes provide their own iterators, but
what I would like to have is something like:

(c1,c2).each {|x1,x2| .... }

I thought of writing my own iterator class so that I could do something
like:

Iterator.new(c1,c2).each {|x1,x2| .... }

but that looks clumsy and inefficient.

I am transitioning to using mostly Ruby (moving away from Java, Lisp,
and Smalltalk) and I would like to use the proper Ruby idioms.

One way I'm fond of is:
require 'generator'
enum =3D SyncEnumerator.new([1,2,3], [7,8,9])
enum.each do |pair|
puts pair.inspect
end
# Results in:
[1, 7]
[2, 8]
[3, 9]

William James

Mark said:
If I have two containers c1 and c2 of the same length, what is the
proper "Ruby way" to do this:

c1.length.times {|i|
# access c1, c2
}

I like that Ruby container classes provide their own iterators, but
what I would like to have is something like:

(c1,c2).each {|x1,x2| .... }

I thought of writing my own iterator class so that I could do something
like:

Iterator.new(c1,c2).each {|x1,x2| .... }

but that looks clumsy and inefficient.

I am transitioning to using mostly Ruby (moving away from Java, Lisp,
and Smalltalk) and I would like to use the proper Ruby idioms.

foo = %w(x y z) ; bar = [2,4,6]
[foo, bar].transpose.each{|a,b| print a, b, $/ }
--->
x2
y4
z6

dblack

Hi --

Mark said:
[...]

I don't think $/ is very idiomatic. See the ToDo file in the source;
it includes:

* discourage use of symbol variables (e.g. $/, etc.) in manual

:)

David

--
David A. Black ([email protected])

"Ruby for Rails" chapters now available

Mark Watson

Thanks everyone - just wht I was looking for. The SyncEnumerator class
is fine in general, and using zip is what I wanted for arrays.

William James

Mark said:
If I have two containers c1 and c2 of the same length, what is the
proper "Ruby way" to do this:

c1.length.times {|i|
# access c1, c2
}

I like that Ruby container classes provide their own iterators, but
what I would like to have is something like:

(c1,c2).each {|x1,x2| .... }

I thought of writing my own iterator class so that I could do something
like:

Iterator.new(c1,c2).each {|x1,x2| .... }

but that looks clumsy and inefficient.

I am transitioning to using mostly Ruby (moving away from Java, Lisp,
and Smalltalk) and I would like to use the proper Ruby idioms.

class Array
def pairs
first.each_with_index{|a,i|
yield a, last
}
end
end

[%w(x y z), [2,4,6]].pairs{|a,b| print a,b,"\n" }

Logan Capaldo

--Apple-Mail-25-171560202
delsp=yes;
format=flowed

One way I'm fond of is:
require 'generator'
enum = SyncEnumerator.new([1,2,3], [7,8,9])
enum.each do |pair|
puts pair.inspect
end
# Results in:
[1, 7]
[2, 8]
[3, 9]

Warning, SyncEnumerator is slow, and you probably don't need it
since #zip is in enumerable.
Run the below for a demonstration. Original I had it run each
benchmark 10 times by the way, but I never had the patience to let
the syncenum versions finish:

% cat zip_vs_syncenum.rb
require 'benchmark'
require 'generator'
a = (1..100)
b = a.to_a.reverse

puts "Using zip:"
Benchmark.bm { |x|
x.report {
3.times { a.zip(b) { |x, y| z = x * y } }
puts "Using SyncEnumerator(new every time):"
Benchmark.bm { |x|
x.report {
3.times {
a_b_enum = SyncEnumerator.new(a, b)
a_b_enum.each { |x, y| z = x * y }

puts "Using SyncEnumerator(only one created):"
Benchmark.bm { |x|
x.report {
a_b_enum = SyncEnumerator.new(a, b)
3.times { a_b_enum.each { |x, y| z = x * y } }

__END__

--Apple-Mail-25-171560202--

William James

Hi --

Mark said:
[...]

idiomatic, adj. Peculiar to a particular group or individual.

"\n" is found in C and in awk, but $/ isn't; so it is more
nearly peculiar to Ruby. Some may lack the capacity to remember
what it represents.

However, I have no doubt that this is an unfashionable opinion
and that your view is the dominant one.

dblack

Hi --

Hi --

Mark Watson wrote:
[...]

I share your opinion that $/ is not in C or awk, but is in Ruby :)
I'm thinking more about its position *within* Ruby, which isn't
directly connected to its presence or absence anywhere else. It's
there, but it seems to be in a bit of a shaky position.

David

--
David A. Black ([email protected])

"Ruby for Rails" chapters now available

James Edward Gray II

Warning, SyncEnumerator is slow...

It was recently reworked to use threads instead of continuations,
this resulted in a pretty significant speed boost. I doubt it beats
Enumerable#zip yet, but the speed will be nice.

James Edward Gray II