What OS do you use for Ruby development?

Nick Hird

I don't want to start any OS wars. I was just curious as to what OS
you prefer to run/code ruby in. If you run *nix, what distro?
Thanks,
-Nick

Rhys Powell

I personally run a mix of Ubuntu and Windows 7 and I can assure you you do
not want to be on Windows when developing for Ruby. I've also had experience
with Ruby on OS X and found it really quite suited to the platform.

Richard Conroy

Windows 7 & Ubuntu Lucid.

Netbeans primary dev environment. Really minimises the OS differences. I
tend to standardise on JRuby a lot
across OSes.

I haven't tried the new RubyInstaller on windows. Has huge updates over
previous versions (includes a toolchain
which allows for compiling native gems from source, POSIX fashion).

Martin DeMello

I don't want to start any OS wars. I was just curious as to what OS
you prefer to run/code ruby in. If you run *nix, what distro?

Arch Linux with rvm

martin

Quintus

Rick DeNatale

I don't want to start any OS wars. I was just curious as to what OS
you prefer to run/code ruby in. If you run *nix, what distro?
Thanks,

OS X for development.

Linux for deployments, usually Ubuntu or whatever if the client has a
different preference.

I install Ruby from source on most platforms, now generally using RVM.

--
Rick DeNatale

Github: http://github.com/rubyredrick
Twitter: @RickDeNatale

Edmond Kachale

Our team of seven developers uses Ubuntu and nothing-else!!

---
Edmond
Software Developer | Baobab Health Trust (http://www.baobabhealth.org/) |
Malawi

Cell: +265 999 465 137 | +265 881 234 717

*"Many people doubt open source software and probably don=92t realize that
there is an alternative=85 which is just as good.." -- Kevin Scannell*

Robert Klemme

I don't want to start any OS wars. I was just curious as to what OS
you prefer to run/code ruby in. If you run *nix, what distro?

cygwin on Windows XP Pro and Ubuntu.

robert

Jörg W Mittag

Nick said:
I don't want to start any OS wars. I was just curious as to what OS
you prefer to run/code ruby in. If you run *nix, what distro?

Windows 7 for development. Also lots of little scripts. Currently
working on my first web app, which will actually end up being deployed
on OS/400 (Although I haven't the faintest idea how I am going to do
that ...).

Interestingly, of the people that answered so far, 60% run Windows,
only 10% run OSX. 100% run multiple different systems. This does not
match the typical rhetoric.

(Of course, the sample size isn't exactly optimal to say the least.)

jwm

Greg Willits

I don't want to start any OS wars. I was just curious as to what OS
you prefer to run/code ruby in. If you run *nix, what distro?

OS X for development. Deployment on OSX and Windows.

Kendall Gifford

I don't want to start any OS wars. I was just curious as to what OS
you prefer to run/code ruby in. If you run *nix, what distro?
Thanks,
-Nick

Ubuntu for development, ubuntu for deployment. Occasionally (when I
have to) I'll edit some code under windows and maybe even run/test
stuff too.

Ryan Davis

I don't want to start any OS wars. I was just curious as to what OS
you prefer to run/code ruby in. If you run *nix, what distro?

I use OSX for development and OSX Server or other BSDs for deployment.

Geoffrey Grossenbach, Evan Phoenix, Carlhuda, Laurent (duh), Eero/rue, =
Ben Bleything, Aaron Patterson, Paul Dix and Eric Hodel also use OSX for =
development.

Nicholas Orr

Linux VM's (gentoo), ruby compiled using rvm

then I actually edit code on windows via e-text editor (via samba share)

I find using linux = it just works, i had a small go at using windows and
that wasn't fun...

KlausG

- My data is on Windows (SQL Server 2005)
- My clients are using Windows (Internet Explorer)
- My other development tools are on Windows

so I decided to start learning Ruby and do my first project on:
- Windows XP with Ruby 1.9.1

Eduardo Blumenfeld

I use Windows 7 Pro

Data in SQL Server

IronRuby 1.1

Notepad++ as the editor...

Josh Cheek

OSX, and despite the answers here, at Ruby Midwest, the ratio of Macbook Pro
to non Macbook Pro was probably around 20 to 1.

Walton Hoops

I don't want to start any OS wars. I was just curious as to what OS
you prefer to run/code ruby in. If you run *nix, what distro?
Thanks,
-Nick
At work: Windows
At home: Debian squeeze

Redcar as the editor. Which I highly recommend, it may not be as
polished as TextMate, but it's getting cooler every day.