What should I use :LINUX or WINDOWS

Nirjhar Oberoi

Hi,

Question 1:
I want your help on choosing what OS should one use to learn C
Programming?
I was thinking of installing Linux because a large no of tools are
preconfigured in it..
I just wanted your humbel opinion to jump out of my problem?

Question:2
What book(s) should i read to learn C? (basic and advance)
What book(s) should i read for Data Structures in C?

Thank you...

Waiting for your reply.

Killy Draw

Nirjhar Oberoi said:
Hi,

Question 1:
I want your help on choosing what OS should one use to learn C
Programming?
I was thinking of installing Linux because a large no of tools are
preconfigured in it..
I just wanted your humbel opinion to jump out of my problem?
I personally prefer Unix-Like OS,and today,Linux works so well...
Question:2
What book(s) should i read to learn C? (basic and advance)
"The C programming Language"
and "APUE" if you will be a Unix-Like OS User
What book(s) should i read for Data Structures in C?

Andreas Kochenburger

Both. I use Linux within Windows in Virtual PC

For C programming I have most fun with PellesC - it is so simple.

Andreas

Alvin

Nirjhar said:
Hi,

Question 1:
I want your help on choosing what OS should one use to learn C
Programming?
Either, I think. It doesn't matter.
I was thinking of installing Linux because a large no of tools are
preconfigured in it..
I just wanted your humbel opinion to jump out of my problem?

Question:2
What book(s) should i read to learn C? (basic and advance)
Definitely the K&R 2nd Edition.
What book(s) should i read for Data Structures in C?
You get a lot of choices here. I personally recommend Robert
Sedgewick's "Algorithms in C".

Clausfor

Hello,
my answer is for a beginner in the programming too, not just C.

K&R2 is my favorite C book, but it is not for beginners.

In the introduction to the first edition, K and R themselves wrote:
The book is not an introductory programming manual; it assumes some
familiarity with basic programming concepts like variables,
assignment
statements, loops, and functions.
But they also add:
Nonetheless, a novice programmer should be able to read along and
pick
up the language, although access to more knowledgeable colleague will
help.
This last statement is correct of course, but the backwork required is
not
taken into account.

My experience in teaching C showed this text is difficult for
beginners, but
essential to learning C in depth.
Many students find the Deitel & Deitel text good. I do not like
the organization of the arguments, but I also think it is a good and
complete text.
But, again, K&R2 must be in your library.
I usually suggest Deitel&Deitel text for starting and K&R2 as a second
step.

c ya,
Claus

Chris Hills

Hi,

Question 1:
I want your help on choosing what OS should one use to learn C
Programming?

WHY do you want to learn C? What you want to do will have an effect.
Question:2
What book(s) should i read to learn C? (basic and advance)

Same question. What do you want to do with C...