what will happen after i use free()???

Mark McIntyre

Richard's error, I think, was in assuming we were talking about
different calls to malloc() returning their results in different
registers. Reading about the M68K wouldn't clear that up.

No, but it might prove instructive nevertheless!
Mark McIntyre

Vladimir S. Oka

Jordan Abel opined:
The only other place in the rest of the post that would have
clarified was one word off from confirming the 'yes' and, since it
was sequentially later than the 'yes', was easily misread.

Yes, yes, yes. I do admit that my original post was messed up. My
subsequent ones were (I hope) quite clear, but that didn't seem to be
good enough.

I'll drop it here.

CBFalconer

Vladimir S. Oka said:
Jordan Abel opined:
.... snip ...

Yes, yes, yes. I do admit that my original post was messed up.
My subsequent ones were (I hope) quite clear, but that didn't
seem to be good enough.

I'll drop it here.

Not a chance with this crowd. They have their teeth sunk into you,
and will worry this nonsense into the ground and back several times
before letting it die.

Herbert Rosenau

Herbert Rosenau opined:
[snip]

OK, I think where the disconnect is.

We both agree that casting the return from `malloc()` is a Bad Thing.

Where we seem to disagree seems to be where the UB comes from if
<stdlib.h> is not included.

No.
You seem to think it's the cast that does it.

No, the cast hides the error and the diagnostic threout.
I, OTH, think that UB has already happened *before*, and independently
of the cast. Cast may just hide the diagnostic that may have warned
you of the problem. (FWIW, it does seem that a few other people here
share my view.)

< big snip >

--
Tschau/Bye
Herbert

eComStation 1.2 Deutsch ist da!

Vladimir S. Oka

Herbert Rosenau opined:
Herbert Rosenau opined:
[snip]

OK, I think where the disconnect is.

We both agree that casting the return from `malloc()` is a Bad
Thing.

Where we seem to disagree seems to be where the UB comes from if
<stdlib.h> is not included.
No.

You seem to think it's the cast that does it.

No, the cast hides the error and the diagnostic threout.

OK. You win.

Keith Thompson

Vladimir S. Oka said:
Herbert Rosenau opined:

OK. You win.

In what sense does he "win"? He clearly said previously that the cast
causes undefined behavior. Now he's changed is story, but without
acknowleding his error.

CBFalconer

Keith said:
In what sense does he "win"? He clearly said previously that
the cast causes undefined behavior. Now he's changed is story,
but without acknowleding his error.

I interpret Vladimirs posting as "I'm tired of this pointless
argument".

Vladimir S. Oka

CBFalconer opined:
I interpret Vladimirs posting as "I'm tired of this pointless
argument".

Exactly.

This abominable thread already had my head spinning from trying to
figure out what /is/ his POV after all.

[I also suspect he changed his mind but wwouldn't admit to it.]

--
BR, Vladimir

There was a young man of Ostend
Who let a girl play with his end.