What's the best MP3 (ID3) access library to use?

Paul Moore

I'm looking for a Python library to access ID3 information in MP3
files. A search of Parnassus picked up a number of possibilities, but
I can't work out which best suits what I'm trying to do. Some seem out
of date, others are Unix only, etc. There doesn't seem to be an
obvious "standard" module to use.

Basically, I want to write some scripts to "tidy up" a collection of
MP3 files, reporting oddities in information, rationalising details,
etc. So I believe that my requirements are:

- Works on Windows
- Allows easy access to title, artist, album info
- Allows updates

I don't know much about the technical details of MP3/ID3 formats, the
objective is basically to automate a slog through a large number of
files with an editor program.

An example of the sort of thing I want to do - I've got some files
with Artist = "Various" and Title = "Real Artist - Track Name" (from
compilation albums) and I'd like to change that to Artist = "Real
Artist", Title = "Track Name".

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Paul.

Lawrence Oluyede

I'm looking for a Python library to access ID3 information in MP3
files. A search of Parnassus picked up a number of possibilities, but
I can't work out which best suits what I'm trying to do. Some seem out
of date, others are Unix only, etc. There doesn't seem to be an
obvious "standard" module to use.

Try this: id3-py.sf.net
It should work on Windows but I haven't tested yet

Jarek Zgoda

Lawrence Oluyede said:
Try this: id3-py.sf.net
It should work on Windows but I haven't tested yet

It works also on Windows, but accepts only ID3v1 tags.

Christos TZOTZIOY Georgiou

I'm looking for a Python library to access ID3 information in MP3
files. [snip]
An example of the sort of thing I want to do - I've got some files
with Artist = "Various" and Title = "Real Artist - Track Name" (from
compilation albums) and I'd like to change that to Artist = "Real
Artist", Title = "Track Name".

Unless you care for the hack value, you better use a free tool like this
one (which I have used):
http://www.saunalahti.fi/~cse/html/tag.html

I have written an ID3v1.1 module, which I will include in another doing
APE tags too, but I don't think this would help you if your songs have
ID3v2 tags.

Paul Moore

Christos "TZOTZIOY" Georgiou said:
Unless you care for the hack value, you better use a free tool like
this one (which I have used):
http://www.saunalahti.fi/~cse/html/tag.html

Hack value is usually relevant, with me, but the main reason was that
I'd not found a command-line utility which did the job. The one you
suggest looks like just what I want! And if I *still* want to hack, I
can write a Python script to call tag.exe as needed :)

Thanks very much.
Paul.