what's the most common library for Ruby image processing?

Yingqi Tang

All,

what's the most common library for Ruby image processing? What I want to
do is just compare two images based on pixels.

Thanks

Bira

All,

what's the most common library for Ruby image processing? What I want to
do is just compare two images based on pixels.

Thanks

The most common seems to be RMagick, which is itself a binding for the
ImageMagick library.

Giles Bowkett

what's the most common library for Ruby image processing? What I want to
The most common seems to be RMagick, which is itself a binding for the
ImageMagick library.

There's also ImageScience, which is obviously set up as an
alternative. Both have their proponents, I think.

--
Giles Bowkett

I'm running a time management experiment: I'm only checking e-mail
twice per day, at 11am and 5pm. If you need to get in touch quicker
than that, call me on my cell.

Blog: http://gilesbowkett.blogspot.com
Portfolio: http://www.gilesgoatboy.org

Giles Bowkett

There's also ImageScience, which is obviously set up as an
Had a look at the homepage, but it seems it's just a smallish
thumbnail generator - which is fine, if that's the only thing you need
it for. RMagick on the other hand is bigger, but it also does a lot
more.

Hmm, that's weird. It looks like you're right, but why do they make
such a big deal about being better than ImageMagick when IM gets you
such full-featured stuff and ImageScience is so much smaller and
focused? I think ThumbnailScience might have made more sense. Why not
just call it CleanThumb or something? Is it some ego thing?

--
Giles Bowkett

I'm running a time management experiment: I'm only checking e-mail
twice per day, at 11am and 5pm. If you need to get in touch quicker
than that, call me on my cell.

Blog: http://gilesbowkett.blogspot.com
Portfolio: http://www.gilesgoatboy.org

Clifford Heath

Giles said:
Hmm, that's weird. It looks like you're right, but why do they make
such a big deal about being better than ImageMagick when IM gets you
such full-featured stuff and ImageScience is so much smaller and
focused? I think ThumbnailScience might have made more sense. Why not
just call it CleanThumb or something? Is it some ego thing?

Without having ever played with IS, it could be because RMagick
leaks memory so badly as to make it unusable for a wide variety
of applications. That's my experience anyhow. I believe that
ImageMagick doesn't have the same problem, but I haven't tested
that.

Bigger does not necessarily mean better, though RMagick's feature
set is wonderful.

Clifford Heath.

Tim Hunter

Clifford said:
Without having ever played with IS, it could be because RMagick
leaks memory so badly as to make it unusable for a wide variety
of applications. That's my experience anyhow. I believe that
ImageMagick doesn't have the same problem, but I haven't tested
that.
As of this moment there are no open bug tracks for RMagick memory leaks
on RubyForge. All the RMagick "leaks" I know about are addressed in this
entry in the RMagick Hints & Tips forum:
http://rubyforge.org/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1374&forum_id=1618.

If you know of a leak that isn't addressed by that tip, I'd love an
opportunity to fix it. Would you mind sending me a script that
reproduces the leak? I need a script with no extra gems or libraries,
just Ruby and RMagick. No Rails, attachment_fu, file_column, gruff,
scruffy, or whatever. Let me know what O/S you're on, what version of
RMagick and ImageMagick/GraphicsMagick, and what version of Ruby. You
can send it directly to me, post it here, or open a bug track on RubyForge.

Thanks very much!

Clifford Heath

Tim said:
As of this moment there are no open bug tracks for RMagick memory leaks
If you know of a leak that isn't addressed by that tip, I'd love an
opportunity to fix it. Would you mind sending me a script

Thanks for your support, and when I get back to Australia,
I'll retest my script with the latest RMagick before sending
it if necessary. I'm sorry if I slurred an old version when
the current version mightn't deserve it. I had heard of issues
from a number of others as well, but I can only relate my
experience (which is admittedly out of date).

It'll be a month or so, unfortunately - I'm travelling and
can't test it here on Mac OSX - the problem was on Debian and
I think WindowsXP.

Clifford Heath.