When is the Exception thrown in case of Oracle driver when calling a stored procedure

Chads Ford

Hello all, For executing a stored procedure one does something like
the following:

CallableStatement cStmt = Connection.prepareCall(sql);
cStmt.registerOutParameter(parameterIndex,sqlType);
cStmt.setString("blah");
cStmt.execute()
result = cStmt.getString(index);

Now according to javadoc the Exception can be thrown at either when
doing the Connection.prepareCall(..) or when doing the
CallableStatement.execute() and its supposed to be depenedent on the
driver.

I am using the Oracle driver from classes111.zip but I can't find in
the documentation where its supposed to throw the Exception? I think
it throws it when one does the CallableStatement.execute() and not
when one does the Connection.prepareCall()

Can anyone verify this or point to to some document?

thanks