Where do I go for an Atom problem?

John W Kennedy

I realize that Atom isn't XML as such, but I can't find an Atom or RSS
group anywhere. I'm producing an Atom feed with XHTML content, and it
looks good on Firefox, but comes out looking likethis, or else this ,
on Safari and Opera. The Atom file validates on the W3C Atom validator,
and the missing spaces are definitely in the embedded XHTML, while the
spurious spaces definitely aren't. I've established that what I'm
seeing really is corruption in the displayed text, not artifacts of bad
kerning. Latest versions of all relevant software.

Anybody have, if not an idea of what's wrong, at least an idea of where
I can go to ask?

Example:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<feed xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom">
<id>http://john-w-kennedy.name/news</id>
<link rel="self" href="http://john-w-kennedy.name/news/jwkennedy.atom"/>
<title>John W. Kennedy website news</title>
<updated>2012-03-02T02:02:19Z</updated>
<entry>
<id>http://john-w-kennedy.name/news/news0002</id>
<published>2005-01-01T17:00:00Z</published>
<updated>2005-01-01T12:00:00Z</updated>
<title>Double Falshood page moved</title>
<link href="news0002.php"/>
<content type="xhtml">
from <a
href="/Double%20Falshood.html">http://pws.prserv.net/jwkennedy/Double Falshood.html</a>
to <a
href="/Double%20Falshood/index.html">http://pws.prserv.net/jwkennedy/Double Falshood/index.html</a>.
Please update your bookmarks.</p>
</content>
</entry>
</feed>

on Safari yields:

The Double Falshoodmain page has moved from
http://pws.prserv.net/jwkennedy/Double Falshood.htmlto
http://pws.prserv.net/jwkennedy/Double Falshood/index.html. Please
update your bookmarks.

Martin Honnen

John said:
I realize that Atom isn't XML as such, but I can't find an Atom or RSS
group anywhere. I'm producing an Atom feed with XHTML content, and it
looks good on Firefox, but comes out looking likethis, or else this , on
Safari and Opera. The Atom file validates on the W3C Atom validator, and
the missing spaces are definitely in the embedded XHTML, while the
spurious spaces definitely aren't. I've established that what I'm seeing
really is corruption in the displayed text, not artifacts of bad
kerning. Latest versions of all relevant software.

Can you post a URL of the feed?

John W Kennedy

Can you post a URL of the feed?

At the moment, the only URL that can reach it begins
"http://localhost". The website it's supposed to go on is mysteriously
stuck in the purchasing process.

I've put a copy at http://pws.prserv.net/jwkennedy/news/jwkennedy.atom

However, I should add that I've revised my program (fortunately I used
my own SGML/XML-building library, so I could freely revise it, too) to
produce Atom with an escaped-HTML payload instead of XHTML, and that
works fine. Apparently I've discovered bugs in both Safari and Opera,
whereby XHTML payloads in Atom simply break. I'll be glad if you can
prove me wrong, though -- if you can find my error. The test copy I've
uploaded to the prserv website is the XHTML version.

Peter Flynn

I realize that Atom isn't XML as such,

Atom is XML. What makes you think otherwise?
I'm producing an Atom feed with XHTML content, and it looks good on
Firefox, but comes out looking likethis, or else this , on Safari and
Opera. The Atom file validates on the W3C Atom validator, and the
missing spaces are definitely in the embedded XHTML, while the
spurious spaces definitely aren't.

Those are implementation bugs. Contact the relevant browser authors.

///Peter