Where does the name Rite come from?

Yukihiro Matsumoto

Hi,

In message "Where does the name Rite come from?"

|Where does the name Rite come from? rewRite? :)

The name popped in my mind one day. I coined Rite as "Ruby that
should be light (both syntax and implementation)" afterwards.

matz.

Osuka Adartse

Eric said:
Yukihiro Matsumoto ([email protected]) wrote:

Is the 'R' vs. 'L' intentional (like Rinda), or accidental?
AFAIK and FWIW japanese doesn't have 'L' there's not "la li lu le lo"
but "ra ri ru re ro" so 'Lite' would be written as 'Rite' i.e. リテ

maybe is just that... so it's intentionally accidental ;-)
Adartse

Shu-yu Guo

Osuka said:
AFAIK and FWIW japanese doesn't have 'L' there's not "la li lu le lo"
but "ra ri ru re ro" so 'Lite' would be written as 'Rite' i.e. リテ

「リテ〠doesn't make much sense as a transliteration of Rite, it sounds
like "lee-tay". I think it should be 「ライトã€

Osuka Adartse

Shu-yu Guo said:
「リテ〠doesn't make much sense as a transliteration of Rite, it sounds
like "lee-tay". I think it should be 「ライトã€

Since Matz said it was about "lightness" I used リテ meaning lite, but
guess I'm so used to transliterate kana to my own lang(spanish) that I
forgot that lite is english and it would sound like "lait" in spanish so
it would be equal(plus some rules, no lone 't' so 'to') in japanese, so
yes ライト would be if it's about pronunciation.

Adartse.

Yukihiro Matsumoto

Hi,

In message "Re: Where does the name Rite come from?"

|Is the 'R' vs. 'L' intentional (like Rinda), or accidental?

Intentional. We are making fun of ourselves.

matz.

Hal Fulton

Yukihiro said:
Hi,

In message "Re: Where does the name Rite come from?"

|Is the 'R' vs. 'L' intentional (like Rinda), or accidental?

Intentional. We are making fun of ourselves.

To quote from _Lost in Translation_, Scarlett Johansson's character
talking to Bill Murray's character:

"Why do they switch their Ls and Rs here?"
"Just for yuks. Kinda mix things up a little. They need to laugh,
and we're not entertaining them..."

Cheers,
Hal