Where does the short date format come from?

MattB

I've hit a snag with an application I wrote because of the differing
date formats in different countries.

It's a set of pages that make calls to a COM object that I have wrapped
in a web service. The COM object isn't mine, and it wants to receive
dates in a short date format, and it seems to inherit the localized
settings of it's host machine. The machine with that service/COM object
is in Canada and is set to use dd/mm/yyyy date format, and the server
with the pages is in the US and is using mm/dd/yyyy.

When I make calls to the web service, I'm converting the date sent in
using Date.ToShortDate (which I realize now was a bad decision). I
figured I could get around this by changing the pages server to use
dd/mm/yyyy via the Control Panel, but it seems to have no effect on the
short date being passed to the web service.

Does asp.net have a setting elsewhere that sets this? Any other ideas
(that don't require a code change)? Thanks!

Matt

Peter Blum

ToShortDateString uses the current thread's CultureInfo object. That class
defines the structure of dates, times, numbers, currency and a few things
about text. Every thread has one.

Since this issue also affects validators, take a look at the section
"Validators support for globalization" in my article at
http://aspalliance.com/699. It will give you specifics.

--- Peter Blum
www.PeterBlum.com
Email: (e-mail address removed)
http://www.peterblum.com/vam/home.aspx

rviray

Couldn't you do some custom DateTime Format strings before you pass th
value along to the web service? If you search Visual Studio fo
"format datetime", there are some examples...

Ralp