Where to begin

billmurray22

Hi,

I'm interested in learning how to program. I've got some knowledge in
HTML and VB, but I'd really like to learn C and C++ since they are so
foundational, and they just seem so huge. Could anyone be kind enough
to point me in the right direction? I basically just want to know
where to start.

Thanks,

Bill

Eric Bernard

billmurray22 said:
Hi,

I'm interested in learning how to program. I've got some knowledge in
HTML and VB, but I'd really like to learn C and C++ since they are so
foundational, and they just seem so huge. Could anyone be kind enough
to point me in the right direction? I basically just want to know
where to start.

Thanks,

Bill

Books are always the way to go. I suggest "The C programming language", last
edition, by the guys who designed the language themselves. Later on, when
you are more experienced, "C Unleashed" is also a great book, written partly
by Richard Heatfield who is part of this newsgroup.

did

billmurray22 a écrit:
Hi,

I'm interested in learning how to program. I've got some knowledge in
HTML and VB, but I'd really like to learn C and C++ since they are so
foundational, and they just seem so huge. Could anyone be kind enough
to point me in the right direction? I basically just want to know
where to start.

Thanks,

Bill

Hi
you can start by reading the FAQ:

CBFalconer

Jeff said:
.... snip ...

I don't recommend "The C Programming Language (second edition)"
by K&R as the first book for beginner. It is too hard. However,
after you have learned C for some days, you should read it. It
is a very good book for you.

I strongly disagree. What the OP should NOT do is try to absorb
it all at once. He should follow the elementary examples
presented early, and thoroughly understand them before
proceeding. K&R is one of the few books that are fairly complete
and accurate.

Please try to control your line length in postings. Lines should
never exceed 75 characters, and 65 is a much better objective.

Jeff

CBFalconer said:
I strongly disagree. What the OP should NOT do is try to absorb
it all at once. He should follow the elementary examples
presented early, and thoroughly understand them before
proceeding. K&R is one of the few books that are fairly complete
and accurate.

Please try to control your line length in postings. Lines should
never exceed 75 characters, and 65 is a much better objective.

Sorry, I will try 65.

CBFalconer

Jeff said:
Sorry, I will try 65.

As you can see from the above your lame newsreader (Outhouse
Excess) then wraps the quoted lines at the same point, so you
might be better off at 72 or so. Better yet, install a better
newsreader. Xnews and Netscape come to mind.

Thanks for trying.

Dan Pop

Books are always the way to go. I suggest "The C programming language", last
edition, by the guys who designed the language themselves.

Kernighan was one of the first users of C, but he didn't design it.

Dan

Dan Pop

On the contrary, C (in its currently used form) is a small language.
And K&R2 is a small book excellently teaching it.
You can search on google, and you will see many tutorial website talking about C.

And most of them are rubbish, but how can a complete newbie figure out
which is worth reading and which isn't?
If you really want
to learn C after reading them, you should buy a book.

A *good* book. Again, there is no shortage of bad books on this topic.
I don't recommend "The C Programming Language (second edition)" by K&R as the first book for
beginner. It is too hard. However, after you have learned C for some days, you should read it. It is
a very good book for you.

I strongly disagree, especially for someone who already has some
programming experience, so he doesn't need to be introduced to the basics
of programming languages. K&R2 is the ideal starting point. It makes
sense to try something else (e.g. K.N. King) only if K&R2 doesn't work
for you.

Dan