where to find c++ reference???

C. Hagedorn

Hi,

i usually write C programs under linux and i make heavily use of the
superb documentation provided by the system itself (man/info pages, html
documentation of the gcc package)

But, now i have to port a g++ 2.9.5 program to g++ 3.3 and as you all may
know things have changed...

In particular the strstream/sstream class causes problems.
I searched my whole system (SuSE 8.2) and the internet with google.
But i can't find ANY useful information. The only thing i need is a
reference of the stdc++ library implementet by GNU.

So where do i find one?
Do have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Christoph

Maurizio Loreti

C. Hagedorn said:
In particular the strstream/sstream class causes problems.
I searched my whole system (SuSE 8.2) and the internet with google.
But i can't find ANY useful information. The only thing i need is a
reference of the stdc++ library implementet by GNU.

The Standard Library is part of the language. You need to study a
good reference about Standard C++ and read about the classes
implemented in the <sstream> header file; e.g.

#include <iostream>
#include <sstream>
std::eek:stringstream s;
int x = 42;
s << "The value of x is " << x;
std::cout << s.str() << std::endl;

Attila Feher

C. Hagedorn said:
Hi,

i usually write C programs under linux and i make heavily use of the
superb documentation provided by the system itself (man/info pages,
html documentation of the gcc package)

But, now i have to port a g++ 2.9.5 program to g++ 3.3 and as you all
may know things have changed...

In particular the strstream/sstream class causes problems.
I searched my whole system (SuSE 8.2) and the internet with google.
But i can't find ANY useful information. The only thing i need is a
reference of the stdc++ library implementet by GNU.

So where do i find one?

I don't know if such a reference exists for the GNU implementation. There
is one huge reference on the gcc site, but IIRC it tells much more than you
need and it tells less - it is not a tutorial. One good reference is the
Josuttis book, andother one for the IOStreams is the Langer and Kraft one:

http://www.awprofessional.com/catalog/product.asp?product_id={2CF23816-FD77-
4632-B7A8-387C7BF9DE8D}

In short: http://tinyurl.com/3p89

http://www.accu.org/bookreviews/public/reviews/s/s002103.htm

Artie Gold

C. Hagedorn said:
Hi,

i usually write C programs under linux and i make heavily use of the
superb documentation provided by the system itself (man/info pages, html
documentation of the gcc package)

But, now i have to port a g++ 2.9.5 program to g++ 3.3 and as you all may
know things have changed...

In particular the strstream/sstream class causes problems.
I searched my whole system (SuSE 8.2) and the internet with google.
But i can't find ANY useful information. The only thing i need is a
reference of the stdc++ library implementet by GNU.

So where do i find one?
Do have any ideas?

Since the latest version of the GNU C++ library is just about
standards compliant, the reference from Dinkumware would be useful.

Find it at:

http://dinkumware.com/refxcpp.html

<OT>
See the FAQ of the GNU documentation at:
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/libstdc++/faq/index.html
</OT>

Remember, search engines (like Google, for example) are your friend.
*Use* 'em!

HTH,
--ag

Guy Harrison

C. Hagedorn said:
Hi,

i usually write C programs under linux and i make heavily use of the
superb documentation provided by the system itself (man/info pages, html
documentation of the gcc package)

But, now i have to port a g++ 2.9.5 program to g++ 3.3 and as you all may
know things have changed...

In particular the strstream/sstream class causes problems.
I searched my whole system (SuSE 8.2) and the internet with google.
But i can't find ANY useful information. The only thing i need is a
reference of the stdc++ library implementet by GNU.

So where do i find one?
Do have any ideas?

www.sgi.com
www.dinkumware.com

There may be more listed in comp.lang.c++ FAQ (I've got a memory like a
sieve).