where to find a complete C++ library reference?

xian_hong2046

Hello,

Is there any complete online C++ (and also C) reference that describes
all header files and the functions/definitions available in the header
files? I found out some header files such as <cstddef> and <climits>
have some useful definitions. However, until I saw the code, I wasn't
even aware of their existence. Therefore, I'm hoping there's some kind
of reference (like what Sun has for Java) so that I can find out if
there's some useful function.

Thanks,
xian

Alf P. Steinbach

* (e-mail address removed):
Hello,

Is there any complete online C++ (and also C) reference that describes
all header files and the functions/definitions available in the header
files?

Many.

If this isn't a FAQ item yet, it probably should be.

Probably the best online one is Dinkumware's, but if you're willing to
take the risk of mistaking Microsoft features for standard C++ library
features, there's also the online version of MSDN Library.

I found out some header files such as <cstddef> and <climits>
have some useful definitions. However, until I saw the code, I wasn't
even aware of their existence. Therefore, I'm hoping there's some kind
of reference (like what Sun has for Java) so that I can find out if
there's some useful function.

The ultimate reference is of course the /C++ standard/, but that's not
legally available online.

Michiel.Salters

Alf said:
* (e-mail address removed):
The ultimate reference is of course the /C++ standard/, but that's not
legally available online.

Not for free, anyway, but you can buy&download it online. To be
complete, you
of course have to buy the C standard as well, but that too can be
bought online.
IIRC, they're both $18 - see the FAQ.

HTH,
Michiel Salters

osmium

Not for free, anyway, but you can buy&download it online. To be
complete, you
of course have to buy the C standard as well, but that too can be
bought online.
IIRC, they're both $18 - see the FAQ.

It seems to me that someone who pokes fun at someone for thinking "real"
means "actual" should realize that they are *each* $18.

xian_hong2046

Thanks for all the replies! I'm actually quite surprised that there's
no standard agency like Sun who puts library references online. This
would make it a lot easier to distribute any update information.

xian