    order to work out which flights best suit my needs.

    Possible?
    Any pointers on where to start?

    James Goodman, Oct 25, 2004

  2. James Goodman

    Guest Guest

    Very good question!!!
    I have never done anything like that. But I read something about it. Look
    int HttpRequest class. You can make a request to their website and parse out
    their HTML. Also regular expressions might be some use to you for extracting
    data wrapped around HTML tags.

    Guest, Oct 25, 2004

  3. James Goodman

    Scott Allen Guest

    Hi James:

    You might want to first check if the site offers a web service
    interface. If so it might be as easy as "Add web Reference" from the
    IDE's Project menu (and then writing a little bit of code to call the
    service).

    Alternatively, If you google for "screen scraping" you'll find
    articles and tips on how to programatically request a web page and
    parse information out. In .NET this is generally done with either the
    WebClient or HttpWebRequest classes.

    HTH,

    Scott Allen, Oct 25, 2004
  4. Thanks.

    How would I know if they have a web service?

    James Goodman, Oct 25, 2004
  5. Me neither, & I thought it would be useful! :)

    James Goodman, Oct 25, 2004
  6. James Goodman

    Scott Allen Guest

    They would have to advertise the service somehow. Amazon and eBay have
    a web service interface although they do not advertise the fact on the
    front page (because it doesn't appeal to the masses) so you might have
    to dig around on the site or send an email. If the site relies on
    advertising for revenue, they probably do not expose a service because
    it circumvents all the ads.

    Scott Allen, Oct 25, 2004