Which is the best book to learn python

santosh hs

Hi All,
i am beginner to python please tell me which is the best available
reference for beginner to start from novice

Jean-Michel Pichavant

santosh said:
Hi All,
i am beginner to python please tell me which is the best available
reference for beginner to start from novice

Hi,

You could have searched the archive, this question was raised many times.

http://wiki.python.org/moin/IntroductoryBooks

I read "Learning Python" when I started. Since it's the only one I read
I cannot tell you which one is the best (if there is).
Python is easy to learn, I'm not sure it's possible to write a bad book
about it.

JM

Colin J. Williams

Hi,

You could have searched the archive, this question was raised many times.

http://wiki.python.org/moin/IntroductoryBooks

I read "Learning Python" when I started. Since it's the only one I read
I cannot tell you which one is the best (if there is).
Python is easy to learn, I'm not sure it's possible to write a bad book
about it.

JM
I liked Alex Martelli's Python in a nutshell, but it's a bit dated now.

Colin W.

Krzysztof Bieniasz

Dnia Mon, 24 Jan 2011 09:09:31 -0800, santosh hs napisał(a):
Hi All,
i am beginner to python please tell me which is the best available
reference for beginner to start from novice

For most CS stuff O'Reilly is most often a good bet. Therefore I think
you'll find Mark Lutz's "Learning Python" useful.

Mark Summerfield

Hi All,
i am beginner to python please tell me which is the best available
reference for beginner to start from novice

If you want to learn Python 3 and have some prior programming
experience (in any modern procedural or object oriented language), you
might find
"Programming in Python 3" (http://www.qtrac.eu/py3book.html) to be a
good choice. (I'm biased though since I wrote it;-)

John Pinner

If you want to learn Python 3 and have some prior programming
experience (in any modern procedural or object oriented language), you
might find
"Programming in Python 3" (http://www.qtrac.eu/py3book.html) to be a
good choice. (I'm biased though since I wrote it;-)

You may be biased, but you're right :)

Nice book.

John

Tim Harig

If you want to learn Python 3 and have some prior programming
experience (in any modern procedural or object oriented language), you
might find
"Programming in Python 3" (http://www.qtrac.eu/py3book.html) to be a
good choice. (I'm biased though since I wrote it;-)

I am usually a big fan for O'reilly books and I started learning Python
from the first edition of _Learning Python_. It's not a bad book and it
will get you started. I cannot speak for the latest edition which seems to
contain quite a bit more then the version I read.

When Python 3 was released, I decided to try relearn Python 3 from scratch
rather then trying to simply figure out the differences between versions. I
picked up Mr. Summerfield's book because it seemed to be the first book to
cover Python 3 excusively and I was rather impressed. I would definitely
recommend it to others.

[OT] P.S. to Mark Summerfield. You have been hanging around in the Go Nuts
mailing list. Is that any indication that you might be considering writing
a book on Go? If you do, you will have at least one customer.

David Hutto

Building Skills In Python has been a great learning tool, and
reference(I don't exactly learn linearly):

homepage.mac.com/s_lott/books/python.html

Luis M. González

Hi All,
i am beginner to python please tell me which is the best available
reference for beginner to start from novice

If you are a complete beginner to programming, I suggest start with a
tutorial such as "A Byte of Python" (google this).
I learned my first steps with Josh Cogliati's "Non-Programmers
Tutorial For Python" http://www.oopweb.com/Python/Documents/easytut/VolumeFrames.html
..

The suggestions above are very good if you are new to programming en
general (not only to python).
If you have some experience, you may look to something more advanced,
such as "Dive into Python".
All these resources are available online for free.

If you want to but a book, I like "Beginning Python: From Novice to
Professional".

Hope this helps...
Luis

Benjamin Hell

If you are a complete beginner to programming, I suggest start with a
tutorial such as "A Byte of Python" (google this).
I learned my first steps with Josh Cogliati's "Non-Programmers
Tutorial For Python" http://www.oopweb.com/Python/Documents/easytut/VolumeFrames.html

Josh moved this tutorial to Wikibooks some years ago, where it has been
improved since then. Today there are two versions, one for Python 2.x
and one for Python 3:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Non-Programmer's_Tutorial_for_Python_2.6
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Non-Programmer's_Tutorial_for_Python_3

I have used it to introduce people to programming with very good results.

If you want to get the maximum out of Lutz & Asher's "Learning Python",
which is a very good book as well, you should have programmed in some
way before.

Ben

santosh hs

I am very new to object oriented concept, so I need to learn
everything frm basic, Will the above books fulfill
My need

Aahz

Python is easy to learn, I'm not sure it's possible to write a bad book
about it.

Yes, it is. I can name two:

Deitel: Python How to Program
Perl to Python Migration
--
Aahz ([email protected]) <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

"Programming language design is not a rational science. Most reasoning
about it is at best rationalization of gut feelings, and at worst plain
wrong." --GvR, python-ideas, 2009-03-01

aliencat777

Hi All,
i am beginner to python please tell me which is the best available
reference for beginner to start from novice

A great up to date beginner's book/course is "Start Here: Python 3x Programming, Made Fun and Easier." It introduces software design and makes everything very simple to understand. http://www.quantumsight.mobi

Jody