White House has new site for new president that validates

cwdjrxyz

About noon EST, the site for the White House was changed to that for
the new president. It is at http://www.whitehouse.gov/ . Just for fun,
I validated it at the w3c. It validates completely as xhtml 1.0
transitional. However it is served as text/html. If it were properly
served as application/xhtml+xml it of course could not be viewed by IE
browsers unless header exchange or something else were used to detect
when xhtml is not supported by a browser and serve html 4.01 instead
for IE and some older browsers.

Css validation does not fare as well with 41 errors. These are mostly
associated with Microsoftese opacity etc and likely will cause no harm
in viewing the page other than making it look somewhat different on
different browsers.

The site is fairly decent as big sites go as you can soon tell by
validating the Microsoft homepage, Google, etc.

Nik Coughlin

cwdjrxyz said:
[...]

But full of unnecessary images of text, and where text is actual text it is
often too small, and the layout then breaks when I zoom to a comfortable
reading size (I use zoom text, not zoom page mode). Which is a pity because
this particular layout would have been pretty easy to do properly.

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Nik Coughlin"
@w39g2000prb.googlegroups.com.
..

But full of unnecessary images of text, and where text is actual text
it is often too small, and the layout then breaks when I zoom to a
comfortable reading size (I use zoom text, not zoom page mode). Which
is a pity because this particular layout would have been pretty easy
to do properly.

You know, there's a way to post your comments on the site:
http://www.whitehouse.gov/administration/eop/opl/

[...]

Today video has appeared. On the old site, a streaming .wmv Microsoft
video format was being used the time or two that I checked in the
past, but most other US federal sites switched to flv/swf quite a
while back. This first video on the new site is a 21 minute one of the
inaugural address. The streaming version is now in flv/swf format, not
Microsoft. There is a text link below for a high quality download in
mp4 format, and it is about 230 MB. I was able to download it at about
5000 kbps, so the server does not seem to be overloaded. My maximum
download rate is not much more than 6000 kbps when everything is
ideal, which usually is not the case. The most recent versions of QT,
Real, and WMP would open the mp4 video. However I may have added a
codec for the WMP that allowed it to play mp4 video, I do not remember
for sure.

A Microsoft server is being used, and thus the site has not been
completely purged of Microsoft because of this and because of some
Microsoftese still in the CSS. Other video formats might or might not
be used in future videos.