Who is answering all the questions here?

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

ALL

I wish to retract my statement made earlier. It was an attempt at humour
which, after some thought and much feedback, was in poor taste because it
promotes certain misconceptions about the MVP program. I apologize for my
recklessness and indiscretion.

To be clear, MVP's are not paid by Microsoft and are not mandated to push
Micrsoft technology. MVP's effect solutions to problems and if that means
recommending a software product be it Microsoft or other, the recommendation
is within that context.

That said, I personally do not receive monetary contributions from
Microsoft. While I certainly do recommend products, these recommendations
are made within the context of problem resolution and/or effective software
development.

--
________________________
Warm regards,

[Shameless Author plug]
Professional VSTO.NET - Wrox/Wiley
The O.W.C. Black Book with .NET
www.lulu.com/owc, Amazon
Blog: http://www.msmvps.com/blogs/alvin

Alvin Bruney said:
let's not forget to mention that MVP's are paid a generous allowance from
microsoft for pushing the .net technology.

--
________________________
Warm regards,
Alvin Bruney [MVP ASP.NET]

[Shameless Author plug]
Professional VSTO.NET - Wrox/Wiley
The O.W.C. Black Book with .NET
www.lulu.com/owc, Amazon
Blog: http://www.msmvps.com/blogs/alvin

tom c said:
Well much thanks to you all.

Hi Tom,

Some of us are MVPs whose hobby is to help others with our favourite
technologies. MVPs are strictly volunteers but recognized by Microsoft.
We
put in a few hours here and there as time is available.

There are many people who also feel the spirit of community and want to
"repay" the help they've received in the past. Others just want to "pay
it
forward".

Some answers are by Microsoft employees. They respond to "customers" who
have registered with them for online support as part of an MSDN
subscription.

Ken
Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]

I have gotten great help in this forum. I am working by my self,
developing with a new technology, and it would be extremely time
consuming and frustrating without this forum.

So who are the folks answering all the questions? Are you microsoft
employees or just kind helpful people or what?

If you are microsoft employees, is this your full time job to answer
questions here, or do you just do it a few hours a day?

John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]

Alvin:

What??? Why wasn't I told?? Where can I get some of that???

People: Alvin's joking... The *Rules* state that if Microsoft ever agrees
to *pay* a person, they must return their MVP accreditation at that moment.

Many of you will know Rocky Heckman, a Security Expert. He was an MVP until
two weeks ago, when sadly we lost him because he is now paid by Microsoft.
Last time I applied for a job at Microsoft it was made very plain (by me and
by Microsoft...) that my MVP accreditation would cease if my application was
successful.

It wasn't -- I asked for too much money :)

Those have been the rules since I got here in 1997, and they're not going to
change anytime soon.

I *usually* recommend Word because I think it's the best word-processor out
there. But I also recommend Adobe FrameMaker, IBM WordPro and Corel
WordPerfect for various jobs. Any dot-Net MVP in here will cheerfully tell
you if you would be better off using another technology.

Preserving that independence is fundamentally important to us MVPs, and to
Microsoft. So please take Alvin's remarks in the spirit in which they were
intended. There's been some suggestion that a few people didn't get the
joke :)

Cheers

let's not forget to mention that MVP's are paid a generous allowance from
microsoft for pushing the .net technology.

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie <[email protected]>
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Juan T. Llibre

A smiley would have helped if it was a joke.

In any case, I take Alvin's apology to all of us at face value.

AFAIC : end of story. We all value Alvin's contributions.