Why “new�

blmblm

[...]
Kettle, cat ...

"cat"?

Could you be intending a reference to the old saying about the
pot calling the kettle black, sometimes alluded to by saying
"pot, kettle, black"?

Presumably the cat in question is the proverbial black cat.
I found lots of people online presuming to "correct" people using that
version of the idiom, telling them that the "right way" to say is "pot
calling the kettle black".

(Yeah, yeah, quite belated -- sorry about that.)

"Presuming"? Ouch! but then sometimes it *is* the case that
attempts to "help" are more presumptuous than useful.

Someone on the prescriptivist side of the "prescriptive versus
descriptive" debate might argue that the people using the "cat"
version are simply wrong, like those who use "free reign" and
"another thing coming".

I'm pretty firmly on that prescriptivist side, but -- eh, if
"cat calling the kettle black" really is an established idiom
that I just didn't know about, well, I apologize to Arne for
my presumption?

Jerry Gerrone

[implied insult deleted] Twisted. Clearly [insult deleted]. [Insult
deleted]. [Rude demand targeted at Ken Wesson deleted]!

No, you're the crazy one. None of the nasty things that you have said
or implied about me are at all true. As for whether your insults aimed
at Wesson are true, I make no claim either way.