grrrrr....

tuxy> perldoc regex
No documentation found for "regex".
tuxy> perldoc perlreg
No documentation found for "perlreg".
tuxy> perldoc perldoc regular
No documentation found for "regular".
brksun10-feot> perldoc expression
No documentation found for "expression".

Tassilo v. Parseval

Also sprach Sara:
tuxy> perldoc regex
No documentation found for "regex".
tuxy> perldoc perlreg
No documentation found for "perlreg".
tuxy> perldoc perldoc regular
No documentation found for "regular".
brksun10-feot> perldoc expression
No documentation found for "expression".
.
.
.

...pull out trusty Camel, find regex switch in 3 seconds..

I mean c'mon guys nothing for "regex", the virtual epicentre of Perl?

For cases such as this one it is a good idea to issue a

perldoc perl

and then finding (either by eye or by /)

perlrequick Perl regular expressions quick start
perlretut Perl regular expressions tutorial
[...]
perlre Perl regular expressions, the rest of the story
That would be like:

IRS-Search, enter your query: 1040
Sorry, nothing found, we have no idea what a 1040 is...

At least put in a -k (like "man apropos") for common words?

ethan@ethan:~$ apropos regular | grep perlre
perlre (1) - Perl regular expressions
perlrequick (1) - Perl regular expressions quick start
perlretut (1) - Perl regular expressions tutorial

The standard perldocs also get installed as manpages so it's already
there.

Tassilo

Chris Mattern

Sara said:
grrrrr....

tuxy> perldoc regex
No documentation found for "regex".

$ perldoc -q regex
tuxy> perldoc perlreg
No documentation found for "perlreg".
tuxy> perldoc perldoc regular
No documentation found for "regular".

$ perldoc -q regular
brksun10-feot> perldoc expression
No documentation found for "expression".

$ perldoc -q expression
<ten screens of info about regular expressions snipped>

"perldoc perl" also gave up a couple of .pod files that
deal at length with regexes. Try "perldoc perlrequick"
and "perldoc perlretut". I found all this within five
minutes from a dead start, never having looked up anything
to do with regexes in perldoc before.
.
.
.

...pull out trusty Camel, find regex switch in 3 seconds..

I mean c'mon guys nothing for "regex", the virtual epicentre of Perl?
That would be like:

IRS-Search, enter your query: 1040
Sorry, nothing found, we have no idea what a 1040 is...

At least put in a -k (like "man apropos") for common words?

Camel-online now THAT'S the ticket! Or Damian in your spare time make
perdoc smarter? A learning perldoc would be cool (AI) ...
It's all there in perldoc, you just need to look.

Chris Mattern

Randal L. Schwartz

Sara> grrrrr....
tuxy> perldoc regex
Sara> No documentation found for "regex".
tuxy> perldoc perlreg
Sara> No documentation found for "perlreg".
tuxy> perldoc perldoc regular
Sara> No documentation found for "regular".
brksun10-feot> perldoc expression
Sara> No documentation found for "expression".
Sara> .
Sara> .
Sara> .

When in doubt, "perldoc perl" gives a TOC of the rest of the pages,
which includes:

Tutorials
perlreftut Perl references short introduction
Reference Manual
perlre Perl regular expressions, the rest of the story
perlreref Perl regular expressions quick reference

Kasp

grrrrr....> >
tuxy> perldoc regex> No documentation found for "regex".You are not using
perldoc properly. $ perldoc Some::Module
$ perldoc -f functionName
$ perldoc -q "How do I send mail?"

For more details try
perldoc -h--