    just tk83.dll)?

    Does tk require tcl? I thought tk was simply a c api...

    Thanks.

    H. Simpson, Aug 2, 2004

  2. H. Simpson

    Mike Hall Guest

    Absolutely. Tk operations and events are scripted in Tcl.
    Look for a 'Scripts' directory under your Tk installation.
    Much of the behaviour of buttons, listboxes, menus, and dialogs
    is done with Tcl.
    It very well may be... for Tcl! :)

    Mike Hall, Aug 2, 2004

  3. H. Simpson

    H. Simpson Guest

    Seems that perl-tk somehow removed the Tcl part of Tk.

    Hmmm. The compiled part of that project might be useful for other
    languages (like c/c++ or Ruby) to directly use Tk without the
    overhead+benefits of Tcl.

    H. Simpson, Aug 3, 2004
  4. Hi,

    From: "H. Simpson" <>
    Subject: Re: Why does Ruby use both tcl83.dll and tk83.dll (instead of just tk83.dll)?
    Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 12:21:34 +0900
    That is a 'ptk' library. It's similar but NOT same as a 'Tk'
    library, I think. If linking 'ptk', it should be called 'Ruby/ptk'.

    # I never oppose the creation of 'Ruby/ptk'.
    I think the overhead is not serious, because almost all part of
    Ruby/Tk don't depend on Tcl's command line parser.
    Maybe, the cost for converting Ruby/Tk's arguments to Tcl/Tk's
    arguments is heavier than the overhead.
    If you cannot accept the cost, you can bypass the converting step
    in the bottle neck part (Please check ext/tcltklib/demo/lines?.rb).

    I hate losing the benefits rather than accepting the overhead.
    I'm advocating that the merits of using pure Tcl/Tk libraries are

    (1) you can use the newest features at the same time of the new
    Tcl/Tk release, and

    (2) you can use almost all of Tcl/Tk extensions under Ruby/Tk.

    By this reason, I'll not replace Tcl/Tk libraries to ptk libraries.

    To receive the second merit, Ruby 1.8.2 includes the wrapper libraries
    for some Tcl/Tk extensions (e.g. Tcllib, IWidgets, BWidgets, TkTable,
    vu, and so on; see ext/tk/lib/tkextlib/SUPPORT_STATUS). Of course,
    to use those libraries, those extensions must work on your Tcl/Tk.

    However, many of current target extensions of the wrappers are
    included the ActiveTcl binary package (see http://www.tcl.tk/ and
    http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActiveTcl/).
    If your tcltklib.so is compiled with libraries of the ActiveTcl
    package, you can use those extensions (charts, tables, calendar,
    tree, tab-note, and so on) with those wrappers.

    Hidetoshi NAGAI, Aug 3, 2004
  5. H. Simpson

    H. Simpson Guest

    I see! Thanks for explaining. The BWidgets look really nice so I'm
    glad you took that approach rather than something like ptk.

    H. Simpson, Aug 3, 2004