Why is the bottom banner ad exploding in IE 6?

DGG Powerbook

Please examine http://planetgeorge.250free.com/2003-10EmCheer/

In Internet Explorer 6, the bravenet banner ad at the bottom of the
screen "explodes" to seemingly 100s of times its normal size.

The page works fine in Mozilla/Netscape 7.1 in both Windows and Mac.

In IE 6, the banner ad "explodes" in both Windows XP and 98, although it
looks fine in IE 5.5 on my Macintosh.

My own html (the stuff between the banner code added by 250free.com)
validates fine, except for a warning that the table I use should have a
summary. My own html also loads fine and displays fine on a banner-free
host.

Very oddly, the other pages I have on this 250free.com site, each
essentially developed using its predecessor as a template, load and
display fine without the "exploding" banner. You can access these other
pages by using the "up one level" link at the bottom of the link I
provided.

Powerbook

Augustus said:
IE6 on Win2k-Server and it looks ok

I'm glad that it looks okay under another set of circumstances, but I'd
welcome hearing from someone who has the bottom banner explode. Seems
to happen consistently under Windows XP and 98 using IE6.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Quoth the raven named Powerbook:
I'm glad that it looks okay under another set of circumstances, but
I'd welcome hearing from someone who has the bottom banner explode.
Seems to happen consistently under Windows XP and 98 using IE6.

IE6, Win2K Pro, and JavaScript On and it fails. JavaScript Off and it
doesn't fail. Works ok either way in Firebird.

Richard

DGG! said:
In Internet Explorer 6, the bravenet banner ad at the bottom of the
screen "explodes" to seemingly 100s of times its normal size.
The page works fine in Mozilla/Netscape 7.1 in both Windows and Mac.
In IE 6, the banner ad "explodes" in both Windows XP and 98, although it
looks fine in IE 5.5 on my Macintosh.
My own html (the stuff between the banner code added by 250free.com)
validates fine, except for a warning that the table I use should have a
summary. My own html also loads fine and displays fine on a banner-free
host.
Very oddly, the other pages I have on this 250free.com site, each
essentially developed using its predecessor as a template, load and
display fine without the "exploding" banner. You can access these other
pages by using the "up one level" link at the bottom of the link I
provided.

On windows me and IE6, yep, the bottom banner is expanding royally.
You might want to drop that </html> just above the banner script and place
it at the very end.
just a thought.

Powerbook

Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
Quoth the raven named Powerbook:

IE6, Win2K Pro, and JavaScript On and it fails. JavaScript Off and it
doesn't fail. Works ok either way in Firebird.

That's a useful tidbit. The ad stuff is being displayed using some kind
of JavaScript. BUT... the other pages I have, all designed similarly,
and all with the same forced banner JavaScript, work okay in IE6. Those
pages can be accessed by clicking on the "up one level" toward the
bottom of the page I referenced above.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Quoth the raven named Richard:

On windows me and IE6, yep, the bottom banner is expanding royally.
You might want to drop that </html> just above the banner script and place
it at the very end.
just a thought.

Oh yeah, good catch! He should just remove the </body> and </html>.
Looking at the source, there's also stuff inserted above the <html>
tag. Ah, the joy of free hosting. <g>