Why no richtextbox in Web Controls?

Parrot

With Microsoft's legions of programmers why must I go to a third party source
to get a richtextbox that allows the creation of webpages in a textbox? The
ability to design a standard webpage using a textbox control seems like an
obvious fit for a web control in Visual Studio. How about it, Bill? Also,
the ability to interface with javascript is woefully lacking using C# in
aspnet. Client side controls are needed to speed up processing of web pages.

Dave

Teemu Keiski

Hi,

ASP.NET v2 is improved in many ways considering the client-side experience.
It has client-side callbacks, improved client-side validation (other
browsers than just IE) and so on. Check it out: http://beta.asp.net

I don't know why MS has not included such control, maybe the idea has been
that they don't step on third party vendor's toes (as there are a few of
these controls).

Teemu Keiski

Good points (thanks Peter for the explanation, haven't really ever thought
those things due to my position's technical nature),

It is interesting to see how the same applies with the TreeView they have
attached to v2.

bradley

What percentage of projects would have a need for creating webpages within a
webpage?

Parrot

As the originator of this comment I want to thank everyone for their input.
Many good points have been made. I am a software developer myself and am not
trying to promote Microsoft. I am developing a web based system that will
allow novices to add content to a community based web site. These people
would like to participate in the web world without having to be a technical
expert. That is why I would like to have a good richtext editor that will
allow these people to create their own simple webpages that can be displayed
to the rest of the community. I have tried 3 richtext editors from third
parties and they all have serious bugs, only one can I even think of using
for production purposes. In addition, the cost of these software products
are almost 1/3 the cost of Visual Studio Professional if you want to use the
developer version. I do not want to create a web system hodge podged
together with numerous third party vendors and go back into dll hell. This
is my reasoning. I am not trying to make Bill Gates richer. I am just trying
to develop a web based system that is relatively simple to maintain and one
that nontechnical users can interract with.