Win32::SerialPort dead in 5.8?

aaron.propst

I need to talk to a serial port on my windows system to control a
microcontroller. I assumed win32::serialport would be available and
easily installed, but ppm doesn't know it exists. I tried manually
downloading it and installing it from a ppd file, and i get "Error: no
suitable installation target found for package Win32-SerialPort."

Then I found this:
http://ppm.activestate.com/BuildStatus/5.8-W.html

It looks like that module doesn't run under 5.8.. is that true? Does
anyone else have a way for me to interface with a serial device under
windows? Do i need to downgrade perl to 5.6 or something? (i'd hate
to have to do that.)

Thanks, sorry if this is a noob question.

Aaron