win32ole in compiled ruby

matthewdmaxwell

I am having a problem with getting the win32ole extension to work for
my ruby-1.8.4, which I compiled from source. After I had compiled it I
found out you need to comment out the ext from ext/Setup. I did that
and recompiled but using irb I still get an error

[root@preservedasset doc]# irb
irb(main):001:0> require 'win32ole'
LoadError: no such file to load -- win32ole
from (irb):1:in `require'
from (irb):1
irb(main):002:0>

Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,

Matt Maxwell

Alexandru E. Ungur

sender: "(e-mail address removed)" date: "Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 12:38:43PM +0900" <<<EOQ
I am having a problem with getting the win32ole extension to work for
my ruby-1.8.4, which I compiled from source. After I had compiled it I
found out you need to comment out the ext from ext/Setup. I did that
and recompiled but using irb I still get an error

[root@preservedasset doc]# irb
irb(main):001:0> require 'win32ole'
LoadError: no such file to load -- win32ole
from (irb):1:in `require'
from (irb):1
irb(main):002:0>

Anyone know what I am doing wrong?
Yes. You're asuming that the whole world uses Windows :) and therefore
expect win32ole to be part of Ruby core. Thank God that's not the
case... :)

http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/win32ole/

Have a nice day everyone,
Alex

Alexandru E. Ungur

sender: "Alexandru E. Ungur" date: "Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 04:41:20PM +0900" <<<EOQ
sender: "(e-mail address removed)" date: "Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 12:38:43PM +0900" <<<EOQ
I am having a problem with getting the win32ole extension to work for
my ruby-1.8.4, which I compiled from source. After I had compiled it I
found out you need to comment out the ext from ext/Setup. I did that
and recompiled but using irb I still get an error

[root@preservedasset doc]# irb
irb(main):001:0> require 'win32ole'
LoadError: no such file to load -- win32ole
from (irb):1:in `require'
from (irb):1
irb(main):002:0>

Anyone know what I am doing wrong?
Yes. You're asuming that the whole world uses Windows :) and therefore
expect win32ole to be part of Ruby core. Thank God that's not the
case... :)

http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/win32ole/

Mea culpa, looks like it is part of stdlib:
http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/

but them, why is it listed both on RAA and stdlib?
Isn't RAA listing 'extra' applications/libraries that are not part of
core+stdlib ? It also lists stdlib libraries as well?

Alex

Masaki Suketa

Hello,

In message "Re: win32ole in compiled ruby"
Mea culpa, looks like it is part of stdlib:
http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/

but them, why is it listed both on RAA and stdlib?
Isn't RAA listing 'extra' applications/libraries that are not part of
core+stdlib ? It also lists stdlib libraries as well?

When Ruby version was 1.6.8, the Win32OLE was not stdlib library.
The Win32OLE of RAA is for Ruby 1.6.8

And the Win32OLE became stdlib when the Ruby version was 1.8.0.
And now the Win32OLE is one of the stdlib libraries.

Regards,
Masaki Suketa

Alexandru E. Ungur

sender: "Masaki Suketa" date: "Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 10:32:25PM +0900" <<<EOQ
Hello, Hi,

In message "Re: win32ole in compiled ruby"

When Ruby version was 1.6.8, the Win32OLE was not stdlib library.
The Win32OLE of RAA is for Ruby 1.6.8

And the Win32OLE became stdlib when the Ruby version was 1.8.0.
And now the Win32OLE is one of the stdlib libraries.
Thank you very much for the explanation.
It makes a lot more sense now.

Thanks,
Alex