window.open(... "fullscreen=yes" ...) doesn't work any more

aagee

Hi all

Can someone clue me in on this? I just noticed that following doesn't
work as it used to:

window.open(... "fullscreen=yes" ...)

Used to get a window that occupied the whole screen; now I get the
title bar and status bar too. Any ideas?

Thanks in anticipation!

Sanjay

Randy Webb

aagee said:
Hi all

Can someone clue me in on this? I just noticed that following doesn't
work as it used to:

window.open(... "fullscreen=yes" ...)

Used to get a window that occupied the whole screen; now I get the
title bar and status bar too. Any ideas?

Yes. Design your pages to work with the title bar and status bar.

Grant Wagner

aagee said:
Hi all

Can someone clue me in on this? I just noticed that following doesn't
work as it used to:

window.open(... "fullscreen=yes" ...)

Used to get a window that occupied the whole screen; now I get the
title bar and status bar too. Any ideas?

Yes, Windows XP Service Pack 2 offered a number of security related
enhancements to Internet Explorer, this being one of them.

Users of Internet Explorer got sick of Web sites opening a window
fullscreen and "stealing" their desktop. In a lot of cases, people had no
idea how to rid themselves of the fullscreen page. Many Windows users do
not know about Alt+Tab and even those that do found themselves in a
situation where they could Alt+Tab away from the fullscreen IE window,
but when they returned to Internet Explorer, they found it occupying
their entire desktop again.

Of course, the simple solution to the problem is to bring the fullscreen
IE window into focus and hit Alt+F4 to close it - assuming the site
author hasn't written client-side JavaScript to intercept Alt+F4, which
I've also seen - however, the sequence of commands to close the
fullscreen window can be considered pretty complicated for a lot of
computer users, and I've seen people hit the reset button when presented
with a fullscreen IE window they could not figure out how to close.

To remove some user anxiety and make the Web a less hostile place,
Microsoft has wisely chosen to now display a title and status bar on
every newly opened window by default - the status bar (and perhaps the
titlebar) can be removed by the end-user if they so wish, but the Web
site author has no control over those settings.

Even if you have no malicious intent, the potential for mis-use remains,
and as a result, the functionality has been removed.

More details about the new features in IE is available at: <url:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/technologiesoverview.mspx#EBAA />
and <url: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/ieoeoverview.mspx />.

Sanjay Bhandari

Yes? Did I ask a yes/no question :)

What I was asking was if anyone knew why / when this behavior started to
happen? And if there is a workaround for it.

Thanks!

Randy Webb

Sanjay said:
Yes? Did I ask a yes/no question :)

What I was asking was if anyone knew why / when this behavior started to
happen? And if there is a workaround for it.

No, there is no workaround for it. But, this is comp.lang.javascript not
your personal help-desk.

Sanjay Bhandari

Now - that's a nice, informative response! Thanks very much.

Actually - I just use this for my home grown photo album code. No biggie
- but would be nice if I could do it somehow with minimum hassle.

Sanjay

Oh man! Not one of you again!!

(1) This type of thing is exactly what this newsgroup is for.
(2) You are being rude. Next time if you feel its not worth your attention,
just move on. Don't reply with a moronic answer and then later chide folks
for asking for help.
(3) There ARE other folks who are here for meaningful interaction and are
quite helpful.
(4) But because you HAVE been rude I am obliged to remind you that you are a
moronic nitwit with possibly some delusions of grandeur.
(5) Now that felt quite good. I'd advise against starting a pissing contest.
I have a lot of time on my hands. Lets just move on.

aagee

Randy Webb

Sanjay said:
Oh man! Not one of you again!!

What is a "one of you"?
(1) This type of thing is exactly what this newsgroup is for.

Thats debatable. This group is for the discussion of Javascript
implementations, not the absence of a feature in IE6 anymore. But either
way, its irrelevant.
(2) You are being rude. Next time if you feel its not worth your attention,
just move on. Don't reply with a moronic answer and then later chide folks
for asking for help.

My answer was far from moronic. It was short and factual.
(3) There ARE other folks who are here for meaningful interaction and are
quite helpful.

Then maybe you should email them and ask them directly, so that you do
not get your feelings hurt by the truth.
(4) But because you HAVE been rude I am obliged to remind you that you are a
moronic nitwit with possibly some delusions of grandeur.

Obviously, your definition and my definition of rude is different. I
have been far from rude, but if you want to get into a "rude pissing
contest", we can.
(5) Now that felt quite good. I'd advise against starting a pissing contest.

Thats up to you.
I have a lot of time on my hands. Lets just move on.

As do I. Your call.

--
Randy
Question: Why?

aagee

Woohoo! A pissing contest!!

Randy Webb said:
What is a "one of you"?
Oh you know. I am sure people tell you all the time.
Thats debatable. This group is for the discussion of Javascript
implementations, not the absence of a feature in IE6 anymore. But either
way, its irrelevant.
Have you looked at the other postings? And if that's what you are here to
discuss then what the heck are you doing responding to other posts?
My answer was far from moronic. It was short and factual.
Well - it was kind of moronic. Maybe you don't quite understand what makes a
short, lucid, informative answer. If you don't have one - just move on.
Then maybe you should email them and ask them directly, so that you do not
get your feelings hurt by the truth.
Now that comment's quite moronic as well :)
Obviously, your definition and my definition of rude is different. I have
been far from rude, but if you want to get into a "rude pissing contest",
we can.
My definition of rude is when some pompous idiot makes a comment like "this
is not your personal help desk".
Thats up to you.
And you.
As do I. Your call.