Windows 2003 Server

Mark Rae

Hi,

I've just built a Win2k3s machine as a UAT box for testing ASP.NET v2 apps.
I installed the OS, then IIS, then applied v2 of the Framework.

However, none of the v2 ASP.NET sites works, and when I look in Control
Panel, Administrative Tools, there is no Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0
Configuration icon.

Is this because I've installed stuff in the wrong order?

And do I need to reinstall either IIS or v2 of the Framework to fix it, or
is there a command line utility which I can run?

Any assistance gratefully received.

Mark

Thom Little

Here's a guess ...

In IIS go to Properties for a website and choose the ASP.NET pane. You then
need to select the framework "2.0.50206"

Be V-E-R-Y cautious about mixing 1.1 and 2.0 in the same webspace.

Try it on a new empty webspace so it doesn't impact anything.

Mark Rae

In IIS go to Properties for a website and choose the ASP.NET pane. You
then need to select the framework "2.0.50206"

It was already set to 2.0.50206...
Be V-E-R-Y cautious about mixing 1.1 and 2.0 in the same webspace.

I have no intention of doing that - this machine is only for testing ASP.NET
v2 apps. However, the standard installation of Win2k3s installed v1.1 of the
Framework.

Joerg Jooss

Hello Thom,
Here's a guess ...

In IIS go to Properties for a website and choose the ASP.NET pane.
You then need to select the framework "2.0.50206"

Huh? Shouldn't that be 2.0.50727 (VS2005 RTM)?

Cheers,

Mark Rae

Huh? Shouldn't that be 2.0.50727 (VS2005 RTM)?

Yes - all the sites on the newly-built box have that configuration setting.

Do I need to reinstall IIS and/or v2 of the Framework...?

Joerg Jooss

Hello Mark,
Yes - all the sites on the newly-built box have that configuration
setting.

Do I need to reinstall IIS and/or v2 of the Framework...?

Try running aspnet_regiis /lv. This will list all installed ASP.NET versions
in IIS. If there's none, install it using aspnet_regiis /i.

Cheers,

Thom Little

Did you use the Visual Studio Publish capability to write new 2.0
applications directly to the webspaces on the new server?

Mark Rae

Try running aspnet_regiis /lv. This will list all installed ASP.NET
versions in IIS.

That returns:

1.1.4322.0 Valid (Root)
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet_isapi.dll
2.0.50727.0 Valid
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll
install it using aspnet_regiis /i.

Aha - that has made the sites function correctly - thank you. AAMOI, is that
a necessary step? Should that not have happened by default when I installed
v2 of the Framework...?

Now - can you tell me what I need to do to enable me to configure v2 of the
Framework? On my WinXP development machine, there is an icon in Control
Panel / Administrative Tools called "Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0
Configuration" - this doesn't exist on the Win2k3s machine...

Joerg Jooss

Hello Mark,
That returns:

1.1.4322.0 Valid (Root)
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet_isapi.dll
2.0.50727.0 Valid
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll

Aha - that has made the sites function correctly - thank you. AAMOI,
is that a necessary step? Should that not have happened by default
when I installed v2 of the Framework...?

It depends what's been installed first. If you install the framework before
IIS, you have to do this manually. If IIS is already installed, setup will
perform this step for you.
Now - can you tell me what I need to do to enable me to configure v2
of the Framework? On my WinXP development machine, there is an icon in
Control Panel / Administrative Tools called "Microsoft .NET Framework
2.0 Configuration" - this doesn't exist on the Win2k3s machine...

Weird, that should be available after aspnet_regiis.

Cheers,

Mark Rae

It depends what's been installed first. If you install the framework
before IIS, you have to do this manually. If IIS is already installed,
setup will perform this step for you.

Nope - installed v2 of the Framework last.
Weird, that should be available after aspnet_regiis.

I think I will simply reinstall the Framework - can't hurt, surely...?