ASP.NET Tab missing in IIS on 2003 x64

Adrian Parker

When I installed windows 2003x64 and its updates, I had an ASP.NET tab in
IIS.

I installed framework 1.1 for an older website I had to host, but when I
did, the ASP.NET tab dissapeared from IIS.

I've tried re-insalling the v2 framework, but it has still not appeared
again in IIS.

Any ideas ?
Adrian Parker

WenJun Zhang[msft]

Hi Adrian,

Please try regedit eliminate all versions except 2.0.0.0 from the following
locations:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{7D23CCC6-A390-406E-AB67-2F8B7558F6F6}\InprocServer3
2\
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{FD5CD8B1-6FE0-44F3-BBFB-65E3655B096E}
\InprocServer32\
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{FEDB2179-2335-48F0-AA28-5CDA35A2B36D}\InprocServer3
2\

Then please re-register ASP.net 2.0 with IIS by running aspnet_regiis -i in
a command of \WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\<your 2.0 version number>\ .

Please let me know if issue persists. Thanks.

Best regards,

WenJun Zhang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Adrian Parker

Ok, I've checked the registry keys and they're fine, they only contain
2.0.0.0 subkeys.

I ran the aspnet_regiis -i in

c:\windows\microsoft.net/framework\v2.0.50727

Then just to be safe, I rebooted the machine; but to no avail, the tab is
still missing.

Adrian

WenJun Zhang[msft]

Hi Adrian,

Please retry by using the -enable switch:

aspnet_regiis -i -enable

Thanks.

Best regards,

WenJun Zhang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Adrian Parker

Ok, Here's what I've found.

I re-insalled the opsys (windows 2003 standard 64 bit edition)
Installed all the updates including the v2.0 (x64) framework.

At this point, there is an ASP.NET tab on the website.

Downloaded and installed framework 1.1.

ASP.NET is still there, but it does not list version 1.4322 as an option,
just 2.50727.

When installing 1.1 I got a messages saying the following..
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
Microsoft

Issue Description:

This software has known incompatibility with IIS services on this platform.
To maintain IIS functionality,
we recommend that users complete the following steps after the software
install is complete:

1- From the Start menu select Run then press the Enter key

2- In the "Open" edit field enter the following command:

"cscript %SystemDrive%\inetpub\AdminScripts\adsutil.vbs set
w3svc/AppPools/Enable32bitAppOnWin64 1"

3- Press the Enter key

When I do this, the asp.net tab dissapears.

What do I do ?

-Adrian

Jacky Kwok

Adrian said:
[...]

Your case is same to me.

I run a machine with 64 bit windows XP and it is installed the
VisualStudio2005.
At the beginning time, the ASP.NET tag was in the IIS.

However, since I needed to test some 1.x ASP.NET app which will call
some 32 bit native function. I switched the IIS to 32 bit mode. Then,
the ASP.NET tag disappeared.

No matter how I did , the ASP.NET tag did not appear.

Finally, I switched the IIS to 64 bit mode, then the ASP.NET appeared again.

I think that the ASP.NET tag in IIS is implemented by COM interface.
Since the IIS manager itself is a 64 bit component. so that it just can
load 64 bit COM component. Then, the 32 bit ASP.NET is set to current
ASP.NET function. The tag cannot be loaded in IIS manager.

WenJun Zhang[msft]

Ok, I believe the whole story is clearly described in the following article.

How to switch between the 32-bit versions of ASP.NET 1.1 and the 64-bit
version of ASP.NET 2.0 on a 64-bit version of Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;894435

So Adrian, does the solution of manually switching between the different
bit versions work for you?

Thanks.

Best regards,

WenJun Zhang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Adrian Parker

Ok, can you you clarify something.. If I want to run 1.1 and 2.0 at the
same time, do I download the 64 bit version of 2.0 or the 32 bit version ?
i.e. will the 64 bit verson run in 32 bit mode.

-Adrian

Adrian Parker

The problem with that article is that it doesn't cover the fact that once
you switch to 32 bit mode, the asp.net tab dissapears, so it's useless.

I can't waste anymore time on this now, so I've installed windows 2000 which
works fine.

-Adrian

Guest

I had ASP tab mising in my IIS Win2003 32bit server and this finally took
care of it.

Thanks for the post.

Peter