Windows authentication

Bob Everland

I have an application that is ISAPI and the only way to
secure it is through NT permissions. I need to have a way
to login to windows authentication so that when I get to
the ISAPI application no boxes come up. I want an ASP page
to sit between the user and the ISAPI application. The
rest of my application is using authentication that is
database driven and wouldn't want the users to know the
userid and password. Is this possible? If so how would I
accomplish it.

Guest

Well I'm trying to get away from the user having to do
anything because this is our extranet so out customers
would be forced to touch the browser. I just want to make
a script that allows for seemless login. Heck I don't even
care if I have to pass something through url parameters.

Bob

Guest

I mean't enable integrated authentication for the web site in the web site
properties in IIS. So long as internet explorer is enabled to use
integrated authentication (tools, options, advanced) the NT username will be
sent to the web server automatically without the user doing anything. The
user name can be retrieved if needed using server variables:

USERNAME: Request.ServerVariables("AUTH_USER")

Here's some info cut from iis help:

Integrated Windows Authentication
Integrated Windows authentication (formerly called NTLM or Windows NT
Challenge/Response authentication) is a secure form of authentication
because the user name and password are not sent across the network. When you
enable integrated Windows authentication, the user's browser proves its
knowledge of the password through a cryptographic exchange with your Web
server, involving hashing.

Integrated Windows authentication can use both the Kerberos v5
authentication protocol and its own challenge/response authentication
protocol. If Directory Services is installed on the server, and the browser
is compatible with the Kerberos v5 authentication protocol, both the
Kerberos v5 protocol and the challenge/response protocol are used; otherwise
only the challenge/response protocol is used.

The Kerberos v5 authentication protocol is a feature of the Windows 2000
Distributed Services architecture. In order for Kerberos v5 authentication
to be successful, both the client and server must have a trusted connection
to a Key Distribution Center (KDC) and be Directory Services compatible. For