Windows/C++ book for beginner

Zipper

Hello, this is my first time posting to this newsgroup, I was unable to find
the FAQ for this group. I'm not sure where it's web presence is, but I was
hoping someone might be able to point me in the direction of a good beginner
Windows programming book. I have a decent understanding of C++ (not great
but good enough that I can work through most problems I encounter). Most of
the books that I've seen on Amazon all seem to be more advanced books. While
I understand that coding for the Win32 environment isn't the easiest and
Win32 is a rather large category to say you want to program, I am looking
for some basics. What I am hoping for is a book that can tell me the basics
of how the API for Win32 works, i.e. creating a window, registering the
window, etc.... Sorry if asking for Win32 programming book is too broad of a
topic, but I'm afraid that I'm not sure how to narrow it down. Thanks again
for your patience, and sorry if this is not the correct place to post this,
but I could not find a good Windows/C++ newsgroup.

-Zipper

John Harrison

Zipper said:
Hello, this is my first time posting to this newsgroup, I was unable to find
the FAQ for this group.

A search in google for C++ FAQ brings up this

http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/

as the very first hit.
I'm not sure where it's web presence is, but I was
hoping someone might be able to point me in the direction of a good beginner
Windows programming book.

Maybe I can see why you had problems finding the FAQ. You seem to think this
is a Windows programming group. Which is odd since the word Windows appears
nowhere in the name of the group.
I have a decent understanding of C++ (not great
but good enough that I can work through most problems I encounter). Most of
the books that I've seen on Amazon all seem to be more advanced books. While
I understand that coding for the Win32 environment isn't the easiest and
Win32 is a rather large category to say you want to program, I am looking
for some basics. What I am hoping for is a book that can tell me the basics
of how the API for Win32 works, i.e. creating a window, registering the
window, etc.... Sorry if asking for Win32 programming book is too broad of a
topic, but I'm afraid that I'm not sure how to narrow it down. Thanks again
for your patience, and sorry if this is not the correct place to post this,
but I could not find a good Windows/C++ newsgroup.

I reckon 99% of the posts to that
group that mention code use C or C++.

The only book worth buying on newbie Windows programming is the C edition of
Charles Petzold's book (Programming Windows I think?). Make sure you don't
buy the C# edition however.

Apologies for the sarcasm.

john

Josephine Schafer

Zipper said:
[...]

C++ newsgroup welcome message:
http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt

Windows NG - microsoft.public.vc.language on msnews.microsoft.com news
server.

<OT>
Win 32 Programming - Programming Windows 95 (Charles Petzold)
</OT>

HTH,
J.Schafer