WindowsIdentity.GetCurrent() and Application Pool

meshko

I have an ASP.NET application running on Windows 2003 sp 1
The IIS directory is set to allow anonymous access and the user for
anonymous access is set to DOMAIN\User. This user has access to
certain group policy.
The application pool is set to run as "Netork Service".

In my application I check WindowsIdentity.GetCurrent() and it returns
"DOMAIN\User"

When I run the application it fails to access the group policy that
DOMAIN\User has access to.
So I change the application pool to "LocalSystem" and the application
gets access to the group policy.
I aslo tried setting Application Pool to "DOMAIN\User" and again the
application sees the group policy.
But in any of these cases the result of WindowsIdentity.GetCurrent() is
"DOMAIN\User", apparently based on the setting for "account used for
anonymous access".

This is really confusing and disturbing (and makes troubleshooting
difficult)
Would appreciate any explanation. Thanks!