WML Input Mask to force numeric characters

frasmus

*Please excuse me for cross-posting. I really can't find a suitable
"wireless internet" group to ask this question, except forum.nokia,
where I didn't have any luck.

I have a web page for inputting personal expenses into a financial
database with a cell phone. To force numeric values on the keypad, I
used <input name="num" width="70" height="20" format="*NNNN/"
type="Currency" align="right">

The page works just great with the free Openwave V7 Simulator on my PC.
But when I try accessing the page with my Nokia 6061, the phone doesn't
switch to numeric-only. Having to enter abc1 for one dollar will not be
acceptable. I'm so stuck on this most basic of problems, I've even gone
as far as to consider writing a script to convert "a" or "b" or "c" to
a "1" at the server side.

Since my page is not a genuine xml compliant page, I wonder if anyone
could refer me to a page where I could confirm that the format="N"
parameter might actually work with a Nokia Series 40 phone?

In the meantime, I hope someone will take a moment and visit my page
and help me understand what the heck is going on...

http://www.envelopesystem.org/env/trx.asp?id=300&name=Entertainment

Regards,

Frasmus

Mark J. McGinty

frasmus said:
*Please excuse me for cross-posting. I really can't find a suitable
"wireless internet" group to ask this question, except forum.nokia,
where I didn't have any luck.

I have a web page for inputting personal expenses into a financial
database with a cell phone. To force numeric values on the keypad, I
used <input name="num" width="70" height="20" format="*NNNN/"
type="Currency" align="right">

The page works just great with the free Openwave V7 Simulator on my PC.
But when I try accessing the page with my Nokia 6061, the phone doesn't
switch to numeric-only. Having to enter abc1 for one dollar will not be
acceptable. I'm so stuck on this most basic of problems, I've even gone
as far as to consider writing a script to convert "a" or "b" or "c" to
a "1" at the server side.

I hate Nokia's browser, why couldn't they just have licensed Openwave's? Or
at least made theirs compatible, it breaks all kinds of WML stuff.

Anyways, best bet is Nokia's developer site, last I checked you can join for
free, giving you access to their docs and tools.

-Mark