Word automation / Office interop / COM DLL

leodippolito

Sirs,

I have an ASP.NET application with hundreds of users accessing it. One
of its features is to merge a set of Word documents that are stored in
a server (basically is copy contents from doc1 and append to doc2).

I saw there is a Microsoft Word COM DLL to work with Office documents
from inside C#. However, recently I read this article:

INFO: Considerations for Server-Side Automation of Office
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=257757

So I am confused if I can use this COM DLL in my application. If it's
too risky, what alternatives do I have?

I appreciate any information!

Leo D'Ippolito

Remy Blaettler

It's just not very stable and since even microsoft is not recommending
it....I guess you get the point.
I use the Aspose Word component, it's about the same price as a license for
word and works pretty well.
Specially their support is great.
Other than that, could you just get word xml or html files and merge them?

Paul Clement

On 26 Oct 2005 15:00:26 -0700, (e-mail address removed) wrote:

¤
¤ Sirs,
¤
¤ I have an ASP.NET application with hundreds of users accessing it. One
¤ of its features is to merge a set of Word documents that are stored in
¤ a server (basically is copy contents from doc1 and append to doc2).
¤
¤ I saw there is a Microsoft Word COM DLL to work with Office documents
¤ from inside C#. However, recently I read this article:
¤
¤ INFO: Considerations for Server-Side Automation of Office
¤ http://support.microsoft.com/?id=257757
¤
¤ So I am confused if I can use this COM DLL in my application. If it's
¤ too risky, what alternatives do I have?
¤
¤ I appreciate any information!

I'm not really sure which Word COM DLL you are referring to, but the Office applications were not
designed to be automated from clients lacking a user interface nor in environments where multiple
threads of execution are involved. This isn't necessarily true of a COM DLL so I'm assuming that
this is the difference.

Like I said I don't know anything about this Word COM DLL, but if the component interfaces with
Microsoft Word via automation then I would expect issues similar to those when working with the Word
object directly.

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)