Workaround for gem push

Brian Candler

I've got an updated gem to push out, but I've got a problem.

* gemcutter appears to have removed 'gem push', because it has been
merged into rubygems 1.3.6
* my Ubuntu 10.4 box has rubygems 1.3.5
* Debian intentionally disabled "gem update --system"

Is there an older version of gemcutter which would work acceptably with
rubygems 1.3.5? I've tried both 0.6.1 and 0.5.0 but not gone back any
earlier than that.

I know I could just toss out the Debian ruby and/or rubygems, but I'd
rather not right now.

Thanks,

Brian.

Michael Fellinger

I've got an updated gem to push out, but I've got a problem.

* gemcutter appears to have removed 'gem push', because it has been
merged into rubygems 1.3.6
* my Ubuntu 10.4 box has rubygems 1.3.5
* Debian intentionally disabled "gem update --system"

Is there an older version of gemcutter which would work acceptably with
rubygems 1.3.5? I've tried both 0.6.1 and 0.5.0 but not gone back any
earlier than that.

I know I could just toss out the Debian ruby and/or rubygems, but I'd
rather not right now.

Use rvm, that way you don't have to touch your system ruby and can
still have a working installation of ruby that also works with latest
rubygems.
http://rvm.beginrescueend.com/

Brian Candler

Michael Fellinger wrote in post #956694:
Use rvm, that way you don't have to touch your system ruby and can
still have a working installation of ruby that also works with latest
rubygems.
http://rvm.beginrescueend.com/

Perhaps I should have been clearer: "I'd rather not mess with my
installed ruby at the moment" - including reinstalling all gems and
rebuilding ruby from source, through rvm or otherwise.

Ryan Davis

Michael Fellinger wrote in post #956694:
=20
Perhaps I should have been clearer: "I'd rather not mess with my=20
installed ruby at the moment" - including reinstalling all gems and=20
rebuilding ruby from source, through rvm or otherwise.

By using rvm, you can push. You need not use it for anything else. =
Install 1 gem, build 1 ruby, switch to it, push. You can toss rvm after =
that if you'd like.

(alternatively, if you have zentest, you can use multiruby as well, tho =
being a test tool, it isn't really designed for this, you can do: =
multiruby -1 1.8.7 -S gem push blah.gem)

Luis Lavena

I've got an updated gem to push out, but I've got a problem.

* gemcutter appears to have removed 'gem push', because it has been
merged into rubygems 1.3.6
* my Ubuntu 10.4 box has rubygems 1.3.5
* Debian intentionally disabled "gem update --system"

Is there an older version of gemcutter which would work acceptably with
rubygems 1.3.5? I've tried both 0.6.1 and 0.5.0 but not gone back any
earlier than that.

I know I could just toss out the Debian ruby and/or rubygems, but I'd
rather not right now.

The only workaround I can think of right now is remove ubuntu managed
rubygems and manually install 1.3.7 on top of it.

The problem with that approach is that operation might bork your
existing gem installation due the /var/ vs /usr/lib installation
changes done by Debian concept of LFS (Linux Filesystem) structure.

The saner and zero compromise approach will be use RVM to have a newer
and system-independent Ruby installation, but that goes against your
first point.

There is always a compromise.