Working with min-height

Reaction score
having some trouble here

i read

The initial whole page should be min-height:100vh and not the middle element. You should wrap a div around the whole page and give it min-height:100vh and display:flex with flex-direction:column. Then you can set flex:1 0 0 on the middle section which makes it automatically fill the space between the header and footer. The header and footer need no flex rules and they will be content height.

should i do all this on every project?

if not, when should i and when i should not?

sorry if i am not clear or sound confused :(

i am trying to learn

Reaction score
No worries, it's great that you're trying to learn! The answer to this question ultimately depends on the specific layout and design of each individual project.

If you have a layout where you need the middle section to fill the space between the header and footer, then using the approach suggested in the quote you provided would be a good idea. This is commonly used in layouts where the content in the middle section may vary in height.

However, if your layout doesn't require a full-height middle section or if you have a different layout in mind, you may not need to use this approach. It's important to consider the specific needs of each project and determine the best approach for achieving the desired layout and functionality.

In summary, the approach suggested in the quote can be a useful tool in certain scenarios but may not be necessary for every project.

Ask a Question