Would Python be suitable for a sports statistics website?

britt.jonathan89

First off I wanted to apologize for the lack of specificity in my subject title. I am a relative newbie to programming and need some advice. I tried StackOverflow but was sort of turned away for not having code in my post.

I have been assigned by an internship with my university's athletic department, to create a statistics website to be used by sports media during games.. What this means is that the statistics are generated by a stats computer into an XML file and I am wanting to parse this XML file and place it on the web quickly. Not necessarily in real-time but in a matter of a couple of seconds. I'd like to make a clean, simple website to start off with that displays these statistics.

I've been playing around with Javascript and jQuery and as a beginning programmer have really been in over my head. What I want to do is start completely over and actually try to learn a language before diving in.

My question is, would Python be a suitable language for developing a website / web application that performs these tasks? I've been researching Pythonand it is the language I am most interested in learning. I've been messingaround with IDLE and have really enjoyed the syntax. I've also been reading about Django / Tornado etc. Thank you all so much for your time.

Jeff Sandvik

Python is definitely suitable for that sort of task.

Django is good for this sort of thing, but I’d also like to mention using Flask (http://flask.pocoo.org), especially if you are a beginner. I use it for some of my work, and you could potentially get your project up and running that much quicker since it is a fairly light-weight web framework. The only thing is you’ll be missing out on some of the more convenient features that Django introduces.

Roy Smith

I have been assigned by an internship with my university's athletic
department, to create a statistics website to be used by sports media during
games. What this means is that the statistics are generated by a stats
computer into an XML file and I am wanting to parse this XML file and place
it on the web quickly. Not necessarily in real-time but in a matter of a
couple of seconds. I'd like to make a clean, simple website to start off with
that displays these statistics.

I've been playing around with Javascript and jQuery and as a beginning
programmer have really been in over my head. What I want to do is start
completely over and actually try to learn a language before diving in.

My first thought is that this is a really ambitious project for a
beginning programmer.

My second thought is that maybe you want to bypass most of the work by
having a mostly static site (which you can build with any number of
Content Management Systems, even something like WordPress). Then, have
a process which takes the XML, parses it (you would use Python's lxml
library), and produces a HTML file containing the formatted scores. You
could then include you HTML in the static site by way of an iframe, or
something like that.