write a history event

aott

Let me explain my situation and what I wish to accomplish, and I hope
some of you will let me know if it's possible!

I have a one-page site that uses 4 different links to show or hide 4
different content DIVs. Because each piece of content isn't a
separate page, a user who clicks the back button after clicking one of
my links will be taken away from my site. Is there a way for me to
use a JavaScript function to write a history entry each time they show/
hide a layer so that if they do click the back button they aren't
navigating away from my site? I've noticed that this only affects
Internet Explorer...I do not need this for FireFox.

If anyone has suggestions, or different ideas, I would appreciate
anything I can get!

Thanks.

Randy Webb

aott said the following on 3/7/2007 6:19 PM:
Let me explain my situation and what I wish to accomplish, and I hope
some of you will let me know if it's possible!

The only way to make an entry in the History is to change URL's. Either
by loading a different page or appending a query string. If you append a
query, it could be used to restore the page. The drawback is it is
almost a perverse way of doing it. Click a link to reload the page to
keep a history trail in an ajax application.