From: [email protected]
[mailto:p[email protected]] On Behalf
Of Levi Campbell
Sent: Friday, July 18, 2008 4:27 PM
To: (e-mail address removed)
Subject: Writing a program under GNU/Linux for MS Windows.

Hi, I'm trying to write a program for a friend of mine who uses
windows but I use GNU/Linux. I know you can use mingw and link to the
python dll, but is there a way to create a win32 service under Linux?

Mike Driscoll

Hi, I'm trying to write a program for a friend of mine who uses
windows but I use GNU/Linux. I know you can use mingw and link to the
python dll, but is there a way to create a win32 service under Linux?

Technically, you can probably write the code for the service in Linux,
but I doubt you could test it. Here are some links on the subject,
though:

http://essiene.blogspot.com/2005/04/python-windows-services.html
http://agiletesting.blogspot.com/2005/09/running-python-script-as-windows.html

Mike

Nicol van der Merwe

Hi, I'm trying to write a program for a friend of mine who uses
windows but I use GNU/Linux. I know you can use mingw and link to the
python dll, but is there a way to create a win32 service under Linux?
Hi Levi

(First off, I apologise if I sound a bit incoherent, but I've got flu
and I'm on medication :( )

After having just completed a project where had to write a windows
service I can offer you some insight. Writing of a service on windows,
as opposed to a daemon on linux/unix in python - you will need to use
the pywin32 module (http://sourceforge.net/projects/pywin32/)

The libraries in the pywin32 package you will need to use are most
likely going to be the followowing:
1) win32service
2) win32serviceutil
3) win32api
4) win32con and
5) servicemanager

The fact that the pywin32 package is just an interface to the win32api
means (as far as I understand) that [sadly] you will need to develop
this in windows.

Some stuff you might want to check out:
1) http://agiletesting.blogspot.com/2005/09/running-python-script-as-windows.html
(I don't recommend this one - a bit dated)
2) http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/msg/3775b8265f1b220f
(this is the template for the win32 service i finally used.)

Also as an interesting alternative, something I recently came across -
you can create a windows service, using the web2py web framework
(http://mdp.cti.depaul.edu/AlterEgo/default/show/77). This could save
you some time, as all the libraries/modules are already set up for you
in the source download
(http://mdp.cti.depaul.edu/examples/default/download)

Hope this helps.

Regards