Writing CSV file from Array

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by john_urban, Jun 3, 2012.

  1. john_urban

    john_urban Guest

    I need to put double quotes around String objects from the array, but
    not around other types of objects. :force_quotes puts double quotes
    around every field. I don't want that. What is the best way to do
    this? For example...

    a = [["joe","cool",19,1000], ["mary","jane",20,5000]]

    CSV.open("new_file.csv", "w", {:force_quotes=>true}) do |csv| a.each
    do |r| csv << r end end

    gives us this in the csv file:

    joe,cool,19,1000
    mary,jane,20,5000