Writing formulas to excel spreadsheet

ampclj9

Hi, everyone. I've just started using ruby a couple of days ago, and
I've been using it to read data from text files and write to excel
spreadsheets. I also need to be able to write formulas to spreadsheets,
but when I open the excel file, the formula is in there without having
been evaluated - for example, the cell will appear as "=A1+A58+A112"
instead of whatever the value of that sum happens to be. If I click on
the cell and hit "enter," the formula will evaluate, but it does not do
so automatically.

Is there any way to get ruby to force excel to evaluate? Thanks!