Writing Text Files with SSL Web Service Not Working

defrankc

Hello:

I have a very basic .NET web service that accepts a simple text message
from the calling page (I'm just using the built-in test page right now)
and I want to write that message out to a text file on the local file
system on the server. The file is being written into a subdirectory of
the folder where the web service itself is located.

The server is using SSL which is where I assume some of my problems may
be located. I have given full access to the folder where the file
should be written to ASPNET user, IUSR, IWAM, ANONYMOUS, and just about
every other account on the machine just to see if I can get something
to work.

This process seems to work fine from the local machine hosting the web
service and the file is written correctly if the service is called from
there. However, if I try this from any other remote machine it will
not write the file. The strange part that is driving me mad is that it
appears to be going thru the whole writing process, verifying that the
file was written by reading it back in, and then reporting back to my
calling page "True" if the file was received, written, and re-read.

On subsequent calls to the service, I am using File.Exists to test if
the file has already been sent and written and it is reporting that it
is really there after the first time I call the service (even though no
file is present on the server). It will continue to report the
non-existant file is really there until I restart the browser, then I
get the initial confirmation that file was written again.

Can anybody offer any type of advice? I have been going in circles on
this for 2 days now. As a side note, I have this same service on a
regular HTTP machine rather than the HTTPS and it works just fine, but
unfortunately I'm not well versed in web services working with SSL.

Thank you!

Shashi Shekhar

The part with restarting the browser appears very interesting. Can you
send the code snippet for writing the file?