XHTML DTD

Discussion in 'HTML' started by David Manheim, Jul 14, 2005.

  1. I am writing an XHTML extension, to add some attributes to all xhtml
    objects, so that for any object, I can have "<a href="http://aol.com"
    text="This is a note that is useful for me">

    I tried the following dtd, and I'm not sure why it won't work: it
    accepts the html tags in the file, but not any of the extended tags.
    I'm not sure why. If anyone could help me out a bit, it would be much
    appreciated!

    ____________________base-aaa.dtd_______________________

    <!ENTITY % aaa-attrs
    "required (true | false) #IMPLIED
    readonly (true | false) #IMPLIED
    random %Text; #IMPLIED"

    <!ENTITY % xhtml11.dtd
    PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/D TD/xhtml11.dtd" >
    %xhtml11.dtd;

    <!-- Then add aaa-attrs to the common attributes -->

    <!ENTITY % Common.attrib
    "%Core.attrib;
    %I18n.attrib;
    %Events.attrib;
    %aaa-attrs.attrib;"

    David Manheim, Jul 14, 2005

  2. I guess your post is missing the end... From what I can see so far:

    You must declare your version of 'Common.attrib' before you reference the
    XHTML DTD.
    An entity declaration is ignore, if the entity already exist. So in order to
    'override' something from the original DTD, you must make your declarations
    before referencing it.

    On a side note: I used the Core.extra.attrib entity for custom attributes
    shared by all elements. As this is empty by default, you won't have to
    'copy'n modify' stuff from the DTD. And I guess that's the preferred and
    intended way to do this.

    Benjamin Niemann, Jul 14, 2005