XHTML2.0

guitar.is.good

Hi,

I have done a fair bit of personal web design in XHTML 1.0/1.1 strict
and am very curious about XHTML2.0.

I have a couple quick questions I hope some people may be able to
answer for me as I am strugelling to find answers elsewhere.

To my understanding it is still in draft, but is it actually in use? I
found one page, but it was not properly done.

Ultimately I want to design a simple XHTML2.0 webpage for a LAN running
on the current apache2 webserver. But I can not figure out how to code
an XHTML2.0 page. The actual content seems fairly standard, but the
doctypes etc I can not get to validate on the w3c validator. It
especially gives my gumpf about mime types, but I dont know haw to
solve it (I read xhtml2.0 needs an special xml type mime type)

So far I have:

"http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/DTD/xhtml2.dtd">

<head>
<title>Tester Page</title>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="./css/default.css" />
</head>
<section>
<h>Test Page</h>
</section>

I read in wiki I think that something like this also needs to be done,
not sure tho.

xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.w3.org/2002/06/xhtml2/
http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/SCHEMA/xhtml2.xsd">

Is it feasable to code a website in XHTML2.0, ignoring compatability
issues (I heard mozilla firefox is the only browser compatible, this is
only some localhost type webpage)

Something I really like the look of in XHTML2.0 is the section + h
elements and the ability to put link / href attributes in any element,
makes much more sense!

Thanks for any help.

David Dorward

I have done a fair bit of personal web design in XHTML 1.0/1.1 strict

Quite useful for authoring content in, but not all that suitable for use on
the WWW (the handwaving of Appendix C for XHTML 1.0 is silly at best (and
depends on bugs in HTML 4 user agents), and doesn't apply to 1.1 at all)
and am very curious about XHTML2.0.
To my understanding it is still in draft, but is it actually in use?

I seem to recall one person experimenting with it and transforming it with
client side XSLT. It really is not something you should be using on the WWW
at the moment.
Ultimately I want to design a simple XHTML2.0 webpage for a LAN running
on the current apache2 webserver. But I can not figure out how to code
an XHTML2.0 page.

XHTML 2.0 is still subject to change. It isn't supported, AFAIK, by any user
agent except as generic XML.
The actual content seems fairly standard, but the
doctypes etc I can not get to validate on the w3c validator.

From the latest draft:

This version includes an early implementation of XHTML 2.0 in RELAX NG
[RELAXNG], but does not include the implementations in DTD or XML
Schema form.

So any DTD you might find is out of date.
It especially gives my gumpf about mime types, but I dont know haw to
solve it (I read xhtml2.0 needs an special xml type mime type)

I believe that you use the regular XHTML content type, with a parameter
specifying a version. I don't think the syntax of that parameter has been
defined yet (other then being in the standard form for HTTP).
Is it feasable to code a website in XHTML2.0
No.

, ignoring compatability issues (I heard mozilla firefox is the only
browser compatible

I'm pretty sure it isn't.
Something I really like the look of in XHTML2.0 is the section + h
elements and the ability to put link / href attributes in any element,
makes much more sense!

It is nice syntax for authoring, client support is absent at present. Treat
some draft of XHTML 2.0 (or a subset of same) as a custom XML format. Write
your own schema. Transform it to HTML 4.01 before serving to to clients.

guitar.is.good

Thanks for your reply, it seems you have confirmed my suspisions :(

Thanks again :)

Joined
May 27, 2012
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
XHTML2.0 DTD Download here

I have seen post before and I know it is old, but afterwards during my search on the web last year I found this Article on the XHTML2.dtd. However, a return to find it has lead me here again and this time I am going to provide my findings. Hope this helps those who want an XHTML2.dtd.

At VelocityReviews.com the author, KEITH, posted this article on XHTML2.DTD and has provided a DTD for download. I hope this is helpful. The W3C xhtml2.dtd is lacking/not complete.

Here is the Article on the XHTML2.DTD and the Download Link for the XHTML2.dtd download provided by the author.

Article
http://zooplah.farvista.net/b2e/en.php/2011/08/16/xhtml-2-0-dtd-1

XHTML2.DTD Download
http://zooplah.farvista.net/en/archive/DTD/xhtml2.dtd