XML - am I missing the point??

news.onetel.net.uk

hello,

I am using IIS4 on NT server 2000. Although I spend most of my time doing
ASP for an intranet server, we are considering putting some content on the
internet for our users to download via avantgo,wap and from their home
computers.

Now, all my experience with ASP so far is in querying oracle and sql server
databases and using these results on my pages - but on the internet, I will
have access to none of these. I can see 2 main options -
1. use a MySQL database,
2. dump a file on the server and get the pages to read that.

(we are talking about a few tables, some with as many as 30,000 rows)

Looking at option 2, it strikes me that a few XML files might be the way
forward. I have tried some stylesheet examples with simple XML files, BUT is
there a way to QUERY the XML files (not necessarily with SQL, but any way
that just returns the parts i want)??

It seems i will have to write some code to scan through the whole file and
pick out the parts i want - easy enough to do, but surely this is quite a
common thing to want to do?? (but i can't find any examples or components
that already do this).

any comments, suggestions welcome...
(i do worry i've missed the point of XML somewhere)

Bob Barrows

news.onetel.net.uk said:
[...]

Yes. A DOM Document has several methods for selecting nodes:
selectSingleNode, selectNodes.

I have a dynamic listbox demo that demonstrates these techniques, and more.
It is available here:
http://www.thrasherwebdesign.com/index.asp?pi=links&hp=links.asp&c=&a=clear

HTH,
Bob Barrows