xpath expression

shapper

Hello,

I am trying to use an XPath to select siteMapNode nodes where
footer=true.
What I have is:
siteMapNode[@footer='true']

It is not working.
My XML document is:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<siteMap
xmlns = "http://schemas.microsoft.com/ASPNet/SiteMap-File-1.0" >
<siteMapNode>
<siteMapNode
url = "~/Default.aspx"
title = "Home"
description = "Desc1"
footer = "true" />
<siteMapNode
url = "~/Contacts.ASPx"
title = "Contactos"
description = "Desc2"
footer = "true" />
</siteMapNode>
</siteMap>

Could someone help me out?

Thanks,
Miguel

Martin Honnen

Richard Tobin

shapper said:
I am trying to use an XPath to select siteMapNode nodes where
footer=true.
What I have is:
siteMapNode[@footer='true']
<siteMap
xmlns = "http://schemas.microsoft.com/ASPNet/SiteMap-File-1.0" >
<siteMapNode>
<siteMapNode
url = "~/Default.aspx"
title = "Home"
description = "Desc1"
footer = "true" />

Your <siteMapNode> elements are in the

http://schemas.microsoft.com/ASPNet/SiteMap-File-1.0

namespace, so you have to do the same for your XPaths. XPath doesn't
use the default namespace so you'll have to declare a prefix and use
that, e.g.

sm:siteMapNode[@footer='true']

You haven't said what program you're using with these XPaths, so I
can't tell you how to declare the prefix. If it is in an XSLT
stylesheet, you can just declare it on the <xsl:stylesheet> element.
If you calling some XPath library, it will have a way to do it.

-- Richard

shapper

Hello,

I am using VB.Net / Asp.Net to access my XML file.
The XPath is in my VB.Net code.

Thanks,
Miguel

Richard said:
shapper said:
[...]

Joe Kesselman

shapper said:
I am using VB.Net / Asp.Net to access my XML file.
The XPath is in my VB.Net code.

You'll have to look at the documentation for your XPath API to find out
how to tell it what the namespace bindings are. I don't go near VB or
..Net so I can't give you more specific advice.

XPaths are namespace-aware. You have to work with that.